TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Post
Inbox
Search

“First taste of haggis, neeps and tatties!”

The Green Mantle Pub
Ranked #995 of 3,027 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Green Mantle was our first meal in Edinburgh after making the overnight flight from the US. Although we had no basis for comparison, the haggis, neeps and tatties were yummy and complimented by Punk IPA, a Brew Dogs favorite in the UK. Service was good, atmosphere was good, and overall, just the right stop for lunch in Edinburgh.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (60)

Reviewed August 25, 2019

Came in for a drink with my boyfriend and ordered our drinks. The barmaid (small with dark hair) asked me for ID, I get asked for ID all the time so it’s no problem. She kept looking at me and my drivers license making strange faces and handed me it, just to let her know how old I was, as she seemed to think the ID wasn’t mine I replied ‘I’m 26’. She then proceeded to walk over to a male member of staff and discuss me in eyeshot of where I am standing and imitate me pulling faces and speaking with an attitude (presumably trying to insinuate that’s how I spoke to her). She then came back to the bar with two of our drinks and I advised that that was poor customer service, that she would try and mock me to her colleague right in front of me and then bring the drinks over with a smile on her face. She then turned with a smug smile and advised that she wouldn’t be serving us (because of my comment) and walked away when I tried to question it. I asked to speak to the boss, turns out this was the guy she had just been rude about me too, who was very defensive, also rude and had no time for what I had to say. Really disappointed with shocked at the attitude of the manager. It’s completely unacceptable to behave in the way that the barmaid did. I won’t be returning, they have lost customers. We used to enjoy coming in for the food and live music but you don’t go somewhere to pay money to be utterly disrespected and shot down by the manager who ‘will always have his staff members backs’ regardless if they are rude and have zero customer service skills. Never again.

Date of visit: August 2019
4  Thank SmithE88
Reviewed August 25, 2019

Very unassuming, it sits on a corner of a very busy street--and seems to be a popular place with the locals. We popped in for a late lunch and were genuinely surprised with the menu and the service--simply a great place for food and drink! AND, they have gluten-free options! Easy to locate and well worth the visit.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed June 6, 2019 via mobile

We stumbled upon this place after originally planning on going to the pear tree, which we found to have no character or ambiance. The green mantel was the opposite! Buckets of character and full of locals and tourists alike. We enjoyed burgers and a few pints. I had the Arthur burger and it was amazing! Whoever thought of putting haggis on a burger is a genius. Great deals going on everyday and student discounts. Will definitely be back soon!

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed April 12, 2019 via mobile

We went I with a wowcher midweek and it had a lovely mix of tourists and friendly locals. Got beer, cocktails and food all of which were fantastic.
Chef was from Manchester and very friendly, appreciated a familiar accent.
Really lovely spot only a 20 min walk from the royal mile.
Good food, good service, good music and a friendly feel. We will be returning next time we are in Edinburgh.

Date of visit: April 2019