“Fabulous tasting menu & wine”
Review of The Plumed Horse - CLOSED

The Plumed Horse
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Relocated from Castle Douglas to Leith (lucky for us), The Plumed Horse is the brainchild of superstar Chef/Proprietor Tony Borthwick who earned the restaurant a Michelin Star in 2001. Although the move to Leith has meant giving up the star it can’t possibly be too long before the Plumed Horse is decorated again. Stylishly simple, the restaurant is all white walls, white linen and light and airy space, the ideal backdrop to an evening of gastronomic delights. The imaginative menu has lost nothing in its relocation, still boasting impressively modern cuisine with a good classical twist and presentation which almost stops you digging in with that fork. The Plumed Horse’s star has certainly not fallen
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I bought a voucher through Dealmonster for the tasting menu with a glass of champagne.

The food was fabulous and we opted for the matched wines which was a real treat.

The service & atmosphere was first class. We had a fantastic evening and would definitely return.

IanMBruce, General Manager at The Plumed Horse, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2015

Lovely review and I'm sure you're not really stingy. Generous with the compliments anyway and no "Sting" either.
Great.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We returned again and enjoyed another excellent tasting menu. We were warmly greeted and drinks arrived quickly while we enjoyed exploring the menu. One or two dishes on the tasting menu we had tried before with the rest being a change to previous visits.
Every course from canapes through to the petit fours were perfectly presented and tasted even better!
Particular favourites this time were the pork fillet, the raviloi of dates and vacherin and beautifully light, sweet and fruity rum baba for dessert.
Service was friendly, relaxed and efficient - a perfect combination.
The Plumed Horse is now a family favourite and we look forward to returning again.

Thanks Serviceace,
"Family favourite!" Fantastic. Many thanks. Oh for that to be the case for every family. Many many thanks.
Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Did the tasting menu, every course was fabulous, but what made it more than just another dinner were the unique touches (like a stunning pigeon carpaccio) and clever presentation. Front of house staff lovely too. One of the best places to eat in Edinburgh

1  Thank winemanscotland

Thanks Winemanscotland,
Succinct! Great review. Many many thanks.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Hats off to them for concentrating on the food rather than hoop jumping to keep a Michelin star.

Put simply this is the best value high end food in Edinburgh, with a warm and friendly atmosphere (unlike a nearby celebrity star holder's restaurant which wants you to be grateful they let you dine there).

This was a special treat, but to be honest I think we should just go more often, because it's great. The food is clever, but primarily delicious and not complicated for the sake of it.

Lovely.

2  Thank Heidbummer

Thanks Heidbummer (great name),
Great review and coming from someone who uses TripAdvisor regularly is a huge plus. I hope you dod as you have suggested. It would be great if you were with us "all the time". Well. Often. Thanks.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband, myself & 11 guests were at the Plumed Horse for my birthday on 15 February 2014. We arrived 20 minutes early and were greeted by extremely friendly front of house staff. The afternoon started off extremely welll. There was a superb 6 course menu, which they had created especially for my birthday, a really nice touch was putting my name on the top of the menu & that it was my birthday.The menu was well thought out for all members of the party as there were a few who didn't eat seafood & they took this into account. They did have a fish course of brown shrimp risotto with plaice which was delicious, even my mother-in-law ate it & enjoyed it (she doesn't eat seafood or rice). The staff were extremely attentive without been intrusive. My husband had been in touch prior to this to agree wine with Stefan, who advised & steered him towards what would be best wines to have with the meal.
Everyone raved about how good the food and service was considering the number in our party. We would recommend the Plumed Horse for any occasion as you won't be disappointed. My husband and I have been to a few Michelin Star restaurants & rate the Plumed Horse as our favourite, the food is always fantastic, staff are always very pleasant & attentive but it's not a stuffy atmosphere but very relaxed. Surely it can't be long until Michelin realise this place is the best place for food in Edinburgh and award it a much deserved star!
Another lovely touch was the chef and owner Tony Borthwick coming out and speaking to our group before we left. Tony and his staff made sure that I had a birthday meal to remember :-)
Can't wait until we are back again! Thanks again The Plumed Horse!

1  Thank Richard_Elizabeth
IanMBruce, General Manager at The Plumed Horse, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Hello Richard_Elizabeth,
What a great read.
I felt really proud reading that. I know all the staff look at TripAdvisor EVERY morning. (When they should be working!-I need to wield the big stick again. LOL! Actually, I consider that a big part of their job.) They will be chuffed to bits.
We hope you will spend many more birthdays etc. with us.
Best wishes.