“itinerary not followed”

and up
Loch Ness and The Scottish Highlands Day Tour from Edinburgh
Ranked #44 of 216 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Gray Line offers sightseeing tours around Scotland. Edinburgh, Scotland's Capital City and arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Historic yet vibrant with cultural and culinary delights and architecturally stunning. Using Edinburgh as a base we take you round Scotland where Landscapes can change quite dramatically in 30 minutes. Guaranteeing a kaleidoscope of memories in just one day. We can collect you from your hotel or guest house to begin your journey.
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Grayline tours are the only company to pick you up from your hotel, etc. On the occasion we went on the Lochness tour pick ups were a bit disorganised in that one pick up was initially missed and the resulting pickups were late, not by much. However it caused the driver Brian to be very frustrated and the resulting stops along the route did not stick to stopping areas and times. For example we did not stop at the first 'photo stop The stop at the cafe and "hairy coo" allowed little time. On the way to the lunch stop traffic was being halted because of a serious accident and as a result we had to "pull in" to an unscheduled stop to have some lunch. It was touch and go whether we would continue and initially the money paid for the Lochness boat tripn was refunded to us by Brian the driver/courier as we were not going to be allowed along the road. However this police decision was reversed and the road was open and we continued to Lochness ,returned money to the driver and those who still wanted to have the boatride were able to do so. The ride itself was interesting being able to take a picture of the monster whilst sailing. How? Take the trip and find out. The journey back did not include the full journey up to Invernessbeing cut short. Although we lost some time because of the accident we felt the journey should have given sufficient time for example to have a food stop at Pitlochry, whereas we were told 15/20 mins comfort stopeven though we stayed 30 mins eventually the initial time gave us little time than to "grab" a snack, even though the stop should have been longer. Brian the driver was helpful and meant well but as others have mentioned he was too over the top with his continued chat which wasn't all about the area we were visiting. He did not like chatter above, "church level" his words and particularly asking parents to keep their child quiet. Music was intermittent, totalling less than an hour. Quiet periods to enjoy the views would have been welcome. An Indian passenger labelled him,"a dictator! If you like this type of driver chat, jokes then this tour is for you, if not book elsewhere. Total tour time 13 hours

1  Thank dizz56

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I have been studying in Edinburgh for 2 and a half months and wanted to see the Highlands very badly. I waited until my mom came for a visit and we chose the Gray Line Loch Ness and the Highlands and were not disappointed. The tour was a little late getting started due to a problem with the bus, but Alan was in good spirits and we quickly forgot we'd been late. It is hard to say which was better, Alan or the sights. The Highlands are among the most exquisite scenes I have ever seen, but Alan truly made the trip memorable and enjoyable. He took a particular liking to us being from the Southern United States (even doing a few humorous impressions of Southern Accents). He really knew his stuff and I wasn't bothered in the slightest by his commentary throughout the day. When asked what kind of script he was working off of he said he didn't have one He simply tells us the info and throws in a few fun bits. I enjoyed my tour so much that I will be going back for the Loch Lomond tour just before I return home and requesting Alan especially!!!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

We went on the Stirling Castle Tour and it was great. We had a small but diverse group and Alan was perfect for all tastes. He was very knowledgeable and well informed and he answered all of our questions with a great mix of information and humour. He clearly has a great passion for his job which is refreshing to see in a man with lots of years under his belt :) the countryside was lovely and Stirling Castle was interesting. The clear highlight of our trip though was Alan. Treat this man with love because he is a fantastic asset to your company and my tummy still aches from laughter days after the fact. I will look back at my time in Edinburgh always with a smile because of Alan :D we are from Australia and suggest if you are visiting Edinburgh and want to do a tour, make sure Alan is your tour guide.

1  Thank Danielle P
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Very interesting tour, with some gorgeous landscapes on show.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I went on this tour with my girlfriend while on holiday. It was booked through our hotel so we didn't have much idea of what to expect as we had not spoken to anyone from the tour company. It turns out this was a fantastic day out and surely the best way to see the Highlands in a day. Our driver and tour guide, Bill, was outstanding at his job and made the trip as good as it was. His knowledge of both the Highlands and Scottish culture seemed inexhaustible and he was extremely detailed in his tour. He was also happy to answer any questions and crack a joke or two with the group! The Highlands are a beautiful place and we are extremely glad that we went with Gray Line to see them. This company is highly recommended by us!