“Yum yum!”

Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Yum yum!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This cafe has become a regular dining place for my partner and I. As he is half Chinese we have visited a lot of Chinese resteraunts and cafes we have got to know the better places and this is one! The food is fab, quick and cheap. My partner who has been to Hong Kong has said that it is very authentic! As I am going there in July I hope to find this too and I am looking forward to trying the food if this is what it is like.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank 20dawnm

Edinburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Finally! A place with decent Chinese grub!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

A fussy eater most of the time, I found this gem tucked along a side street. I needed something other than the typical MSG packed westernised Chinese takeaway. This place fits the bill. I had the duck egg congee and steam rice with the three roasts. My belly was satisfied. I will certainly be making more regular trips in the near future. I heard that this place made the typical Hong Kong egg tart, but unfortunately I've been told I'm a few years too late. Nevertheless, it must be doing something right if it is packed full of Chinese students from the local university across the road. I give it a 4 rating because it lacked the egg tarts.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Allen C
“Don't understand how this place has such good reviews!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I ate here once, and never again! Food was greasy, starchy, MSG-laden and quite honestly borderline indelible. On top of it all, waiters were rude and irritable. Good Chinese food is scarce in Edinburgh, and this establishment is at the bottom of that barrel

5 Thank Chien Yee F
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Tasty, fresh food, fast.”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Visited here at Easter. Went in because it was near to where we were staying.

Food was great, prepared quickly.

The bill was a nice surprise - very reasonable.

Would definitely visit here again.

4 Thank psionara
London
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

On my one visit, average food - shredded fried chicken a bafflingly unearthly luminous orange colour, ribs in gloopy sauce practically impossible to eat with either chopsticks or bare hands, good fried rice, and an utterly repulsive drink called Honey Lime which was like slightly tangy dishwater slops, complete with scum. Unsmiling stone-faced service, which you sometimes expect in Chinese restaurants but can excuse when the food is good, which it wasn't.

It's a small place and - in relation to what others have said - does usually seem well-populated by Chinese people. I'm willing to accept it has charms that eluded me that one time but I hesitate to go back. If I did, maybe I'd try something recommended by others here, plus avoid the honey lime drink.

• Visited September 2011