“A Great Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chop Chop

Chop Chop
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop Chop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #900 of 2,438 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Authentic north eastern Chinese cuisine featuring dishes rarely found outside China but very appealing to the western palate.
“A Great Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Not your usual Chinese-very tasty. Great service, too. No wonder real Chinese were eating here when we were in. Good portions and not served with glops of iffy sauces.

Visited September 2012

New Delhi, India
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I read the reviews about this restaurant and its worth eating at this place. Its close to Haymarket station and and just next to the place where I stayed. The food is quite good. In fact, I ate here twice, tasted a different item each time. I liked crispy tofu though.

Recommendation - The tables can be booked in advance. Please make a prior booking on weekends.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not the most glamorous but the food IS award winning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Tripadvisor is to give your opinion and I ate there on 22 November and I found the food was fantastic and worthy of awards for taste and originality. Yes the surroundings are not very exciting, but it depends what you are looking for. If it’s something a little different to eat then this is for you. It’s like Chinese tapas giving you that chance to be a little more adventurous with your selection. It's very reasonably priced and in addition they offer a loyalty scheme as well and the business lunch is well worth trying. The staff are lovely and very attentive and the service is prompt. They do sell alcohol, however you can also take your own for only £5 corkage.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not the award winning food you think it will be”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very average food and atmosphere.
Interestingly, the staff said they are paid below minimum wage AND that they DO NOT get 1 penny out of the tips that are left on the table. It all goes to the owner !? What is that about?

6 Thank KwaiLaw
Roy8888, Owner at Chop Chop, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
The reviewer is entitled to be in a minority who find find our food and atmosphere very average. That's fair enough, but we must take issue with what a staff member allegedly told the reviewer. Our front of house staff are very well paid and guests are welcome to ask them.
Pisa, Italy
“Simple and genuine (try all the raviolis)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I decided to visit this Chinese restaurant during my staying in Edinburgh after having seen its presentation during a TV broadcasting of Gordon Ramsay F World (indeed it was broadcasted on Italian tv only this summer). I must say that I expected a much more sophisticated or posh restaurant (and therefore much more expensive). Chop chop, however, seems a more familiar place where to dine: the decor is the typical one of many Chinese restaurants and, in some respects, it is very essential. Waiters were very helpful and quick and the owner, with whom I attempted at speaking in my poor Chinese, was really friendly. They have a lively website, from where could reserve (since I live in Italy) .
As for the food, I could not try the formula "unlimited banquet" which is the most successful one, but, instead, I dined à la carte. I tried various types of jiaozhi and baozhi (fried and boiled raviolis), which are considered the specialty of the restaurant and are truly worth of their fame. Likewise excellent are the baby ribs in sweet sour sauce: very tender and well seasoned! The main course, in my opinion, wasn't as good as the starters: I tried one of their most popular meat dishes, fried beef in a (different) sweet-sour sauce, but I found that ginger -which normally I like very much - and, most of all, lemongrass were a bit too overwhelming and conferred an harsh flavour to the meat. Dessert deserves a special mention: I had sweet raviolis (filled with peanuts) fried and served with sugar. They resembled me some similar cookies my grandmother used to cook for Carnival and were the best dish of my dinner. Portions were abundant and therefore quality/price is sound. This place is completely different if compared to other Chinese restaurants: compared to many places, they serve only few dishes, and you will not find a large variety of dishes. Those they prepare, however, are worth a visit. I was truly satisfied.

2 Thank TongBo