“Friendly Service, Food is Fair”
Review of Lancers

Lancers
Ranked #1,170 of 2,595 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just been to Lancers in Stockbridge for the first time in ages. Several staff appeared familiar and were as welcoming as they had always been. The restaurant itself has had a serious makeover since I last visited and it looks good. The main dining room is quite intimate and the place is great for a cosy evening out.
Pity then that the cuisine doesn't quite hit the same heights. My advice would be simple - avoid the starters. We didn't enjoy anyway we opted for. The mixed pakora is out of the microwave and the heating in mine was very uneven. There was a fish pakora that I think even a ravenous urban seagull would disdain. Main courses much better. It's mainly chicken options and a much smaller selection than their take away menu but they will cook whatever you ask for. The Chilli Garlic Chicken was very good, nan breads and rice best described as standard.
Lancers' kitchen could do better in my view and we will go back again because the staff and décor are so nice. We'll just concentrate on the main courses.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Lancers was my local when i lived in Stockbridge. I find the staff friendly and welcoming, the food is good and well presented, and prices are very reasonable. We live 16 miles away now but still return - yesterday's visit again didn't disappoint. There are 2 dining rooms - the linear one is better!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A fine, well established curry house. Dishes are a fair price and the curries are good - nothing special, but consistently tasty.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

As a local resident, have sampled the takeaway menu on a number of occasions, the latter having been 30/03/2013 following a long day at work. Despite the service being on the quick side and the price not too bad, have found the food to be bland and tasteless. Only two weeks previously and having ordered from the restaurant my girlfriend commented that she's still to find a decent Indian in Edinburgh. Haven't dined within the premises so can't comment on the quality of a sit-in meal, but if the takeaway cuisine is anything to go by... go for a Chinese instead - I'd recommend Karens Unicorn round the corner!

1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed February 19, 2013

we went here as we were staying in Stockbridge and it had been recommended. The menu was a little disappointing. I went for a veg fritter tikka starter which was bland. my g/f had a slightly better starter (can't remember what) and our mains were jhal bunha and a jalfreize...both came and looked and tasted identical, staff were friendly but shame about the food. bill came to a few pence under £50. had a curry from a local takeaway in stockbridge on the sunday night which knocked Lancers for 6. (the lancers take away menu is different from the restyarant menu, it has far more choice so if you want to try it, get a take away and sit outside with a bottle of wine from the co-op over the road !

1  Thank Neil Y