“Delicious authentic food and the best service”

Hanam's Middle East Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Set in the heart of Edinburgh is Hanam's Kurdish and Middle Eastern Restaurant and if you think that's a mouthful, wait until you see what on offer! Voted one of Britain's Top 5 Middle Eastern Restaurants by the Telegraph, owner Ahmed ensures the personal touch, by being there seven days a week to offer advice and banter. The menu offers starters such as falafel and baba ghanoush, main courses that include Kurdish pizzas, vegetarian casseroles and halal meat dishes, such as Kurdish-style lamb biryani. There are also a selection of shish kebabs and desserts. Three courses from this banquet-like menu will cost an average of just £20 per person. And, if you're so inclined, you can even smoke a traditional hookah after your meal.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food is freshly made and beautifully served, spices and accompaniments not to mention the tea they served was nothing short of delicious. Prices are more than reasonable considereing you can sit on their terrace on the Royal Mile and see everything happening before you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a great experience. The food was delicious and mouth watering - absolutely cooked to perfection. Not overtly spiced or glazed with too much dye - everything was fresh and cooked really well.

The restaurant was really nice and the service was really great. If you are in the centre of Edinburgh I would recommend giving Hanam's a visit. Good value too.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife an I booked Hanam's on line the booking was easy and a confirmation was sent via email and text which was reassuring. On arrival we were shown to our seat and given menus. The room was dark and with no light or candle on the table it was difficult to read (that of course could jut be an age thing).

We seamed to arrive with every other table at 8pm which meant the staff were rushed and this was noticeable on service levels however the food more than made up for this.

Two people two courses and four drinks (non alcoholic) an change for £50 so I felt excellent value.

Whilst unusual this restraint is worth a try however I would visit as a couple first prior to arranging a get together with friends so you understand the layout prior to booking groups etc.

I would easily go back but perhaps at a different time of day.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went here on a recommendation. We ordered two starter's which were lovely but one of my biggest dislikes in a restaurant is your starter plates taken away and 30 seconds later your main arrives. Which is exactly what happened I couldn't enjoy my main meal as I was still full from starter. I also picked the wrong thing felt it was very overpriced had a spinach lamb dish that had 4 small pieces of lamb in it, for £15 I could of had more lamb. Mind you I probably couldn't have ate it due to feeling rushed! We were planning to sit out on the terrace afterwards for a shishka pipe but we just left as we felt totally rushed. Wont be back lots more places in Edinburgh to go who will appreciate our custom.

6  Thank lynseyg15
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ever been to a restaurant where you have to think and read the menu carefully? Perhaps it was because I am not used to middle eastern food, but I found it a great experience not really knowing any of the dishes and doing some experimenting! The food was terrific.

We were there at festival time and the restaurant was busy. This meant that the service was quite slow, and I agree with another reviewer that drinks could have been ordered earlier. Having said this, I would definitely go again.

Top tip: if you want to drink alcohol then take it with you as this restaurant does not have a drinks licence. No amount of alcohol-free wine can take the place of a glass of good red!