“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had booked this restaurant in for a pre-theatre meal as we were going to the nearby Festival Theatre. For us and many guests sitting next to us, the meal was a disaster. There were at least 4 tables around us that left without getting their main course, despite having been in the restaurant for nearly 2 hours.

The staff admitted that there were too many people in the restaurant and they couldn't cope. It was clear that preference was being given to the upper tier where people with reservations were being sat. We had been put their initially as I had booked, but were then asked to move when a larger group came in.

Our main meal appeared at 7.10 pm only after asking twice where it was and reminding the staff that we had booked and had been moved. I had also gone to have a look at the table we had been moved from and they had had their main course long before. What came was unappetising and had clearly just been put together quickly and thrown at us, we didn't eat it.

Needless to say I won't be going back. It's disappointing because due to their location you'd think they should be able to cope with the pre-theatre crowd on a Saturday but apparently not. I had had an excellent pre-theatre the night before in an Italian restaurant opposite the Playhouse, so know that it can be done well.

2  Thank Laura T
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your visit to Ciao Roma. On the night in question, we had 2 members of the kitchen staff call in sick with flu at very short notice, hence the problems we experienced. We have catered for the pre-theatre crowd for many years & are aware people want to receive their meals quickly - we are normally very efficient & have many returning, happy customers. I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal, however I believe you were not charged for your meal as we were aware there were problems during your visit. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Not worthy of a 4, but better than 3! Been several times, and it's either been very busy, or very quiet. Think that they rely quite heavily on the pre-theatre crowd. (It's just over the road from the Festival Theatre.) Anyway, it's a nice enough place, the staff are friendly and attentive, the food is quite good and the price is not unreasonable. Do you see where I'm going here? There is no WOW factor. It's kind of 'get them in, get them fed, get them out' but in an OK way. I know, I'm confused too! Don't be put off because this restaurant is alright.

2  Thank Ian R
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Ciao Roma. Thank you for your feedback & we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Excellent, reasonably priced, home cooked Italian food with good friendly service, make sure you try the fresh pasta dishes and the ice cream sundaes, yum.
We will certainly be eating here next time we visit Edinburgh.

CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pre theatre meal on a Wednesday night. Nice place, attentive, friendly staff and a nice experience but .... £14 pound something for 2 courses - starter was OK (mussels) but the mains - spaghetti and meatballs whilst being very tasty was a really small portion. Is that how they can offer lower pre theatre prices - they reduce the size. To be honest, I feel a bit ripped off.

I am sorry to hear you were not 100% satisfied with your visit to Ciao Roma - I can confirm we use standard portion control throughout our menu & that the pre-theatre menu portion sizes are not reduced. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stopped after dinner for ice cream and coffees. Staff lovely, Ice cream out of this world and super presentation. Decor kitsch but replace the marble effect table clothes - they look dirty even when they are clean

CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip to Ciao Roma.
Thank you for your comments & we hope to see you again in the future!