Ben Cruachan Guest House
$94
$299
$281
Agoda.com
All reviewsporridgedecanter of sherryowner jackiecity centreoverlooking the gardenleith walkbreakfast was deliciousset us up for the daybeautiful roomlittle toucheswonderful hostsscottish breakfastfull scottisha lovely staybed and breakfasthome from homethree nights
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stayed at Ben Cruachan B&B around April this year. I did a tour around Scotland, so I stayed here one night before the tour and for 5 nights after the tour. For a young woman (okay, relatively young, I'm 24 :D) travelling alone this was an excellent choice. It' peaceful, it's safe and Jackie was like a surrogate mother to me.
The B&B is located very close to the city center but not in the thick of it, so you can relax a bit and enjoy the "real Edinburgh" around you (I walked to the city center everyday on foot, it took only a couple of minutes - max 10-15 if you like lazy strolls - but there is a bus stop nearbyfor the less enthusiastic :) )
Jackie is a godsend, she is just amazing, I really have no words. She helped with basically everything, she gave tips on what to see, how to get there and simply kept me company when I needed it. I wanted to buy some Scottish/Celtic jewellry and she gave the best advice on where to go (even took me there by car) and I bought the loveliest pieces, I wear them with a smile every day.
The rooms are really lovely (I made a very last minute booking -less then I week I was supposed to fly out - so I stayed in three different rooms during my 6 nights, so I had the chance to try various different rooms :D each of them has a different coloring and style, all of them beautiful) and the breakfast is really nice, you have a chance to chat with Jackie and your fellow guests, excellent choice to make new friends and learn new things about Scotland or Edinburgh.
As I said I stayed here at April -> I'm very bad at writing reviews, I always forget to write them and after a week or two I just don't see the point. But Jackie's place is so nice that even months later it was literally weighing on my conscience that I haven't written it. :) She deserves the nice reviews for the effort and the kindness she puts into her work every day.
So go ahead and book a room at this B&B, you will not regret it. ;)

Edit from Hungary

Room Tip: Every room was nice, I stayed in one at the "main floor" with views to the garden and the other two I stayed at was basically one floor down but still with views to the garden (although you have to go down a set of stairs with your luggage, but it's not long and a little exercise is always good :) but they will help you with your suitcase it you need it)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Edit806
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed in room 2 which is on the street level in the building and the window looks over the backyard. 3 rooms are on the street level and breakfast and other rooms on the lower level. I arrived early in the day from my flight from The States, and was happy that I could leave my bag at the B&B until check-in and I could start exploring the city. The location is about a 10-15 minute walk from the middle of town, but an easy walk (and downhill from town which is nice after walking uphill most of the day). Room was very clean with sherry, coffee/tea, cookies, etc. in the room, which was welcome after a long day. Bathroom was clean and shower had a lot of hot water! Could hear others going in and out of rooms, but everyone was quiet and respectful so not a problem.

I had a tv in my room, but there is also a sitting room on the first level as my room with reading, tv, etc. so a good place to relax on couches.

The breakfasts were great with a lot of options. Jackie shops local so everything is fresh and I definitely did not start the day hungry!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tazcatrophy
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at this lovely B&B in Edinburgh, having booked a long time ago to make sure we got the dates we needed. I can say from my first email everything was excellent . We were made so welcome by our host Jackie . We had a beautiful room, enjoyed delicious breakfasts of amazing quality, this was one of the reasons we wanted to stay at Ben cruachan the reviews say it all Jen.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great location near the main city sights. Rooms were decorated very nicely and were very comfortable. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay and both were cosy and comfortable. Although the second room did not have an ensuite bathroom, I had access to a private bathroom just next to my room. Breakfast was great! I tried the hot English breakfast, the porridge and fruit platter during my stay and everything was yummy. Jackie was also very friendly and helpful during my stay. She gave me a discount card to the Royal Yacht Britannia, which was really near the bnb. She also allowed me to store my luggage after I checked out from the room. I highly recommend this bnb.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We discovered the most wonderful place to stay in central Edinburgh, offering fantastic rooms with a super breakfast included in the price of the room, also free wi fi tea & coffee good toiletries decanter of sherry topped up every day. We could not believe the good value compared to other B&Bs we stayed in on this holiday. We have loved everything about Edinburgh and Leith very good restaurants close to Ben cruachan would certainly use here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple