“Nicest place to stay in Edinburgh”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ben Cruachan Guest House
Ranked #7 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stayed at Ben Cruachan B&B around April this year. I did a tour around Scotland, so I stayed here one night before the tour and for 5 nights after the tour. For a young woman (okay, relatively young, I'm 24 :D) travelling alone this was an excellent choice. It' peaceful, it's safe and Jackie was like a surrogate mother to me.
The B&B is located very close to the city center but not in the thick of it, so you can relax a bit and enjoy the "real Edinburgh" around you (I walked to the city center everyday on foot, it took only a couple of minutes - max 10-15 if you like lazy strolls - but there is a bus stop nearbyfor the less enthusiastic :) )
Jackie is a godsend, she is just amazing, I really have no words. She helped with basically everything, she gave tips on what to see, how to get there and simply kept me company when I needed it. I wanted to buy some Scottish/Celtic jewellry and she gave the best advice on where to go (even took me there by car) and I bought the loveliest pieces, I wear them with a smile every day.
The rooms are really lovely (I made a very last minute booking -less then I week I was supposed to fly out - so I stayed in three different rooms during my 6 nights, so I had the chance to try various different rooms :D each of them has a different coloring and style, all of them beautiful) and the breakfast is really nice, you have a chance to chat with Jackie and your fellow guests, excellent choice to make new friends and learn new things about Scotland or Edinburgh.
As I said I stayed here at April -> I'm very bad at writing reviews, I always forget to write them and after a week or two I just don't see the point. But Jackie's place is so nice that even months later it was literally weighing on my conscience that I haven't written it. :) She deserves the nice reviews for the effort and the kindness she puts into her work every day.
So go ahead and book a room at this B&B, you will not regret it. ;)

Edit from Hungary

Room Tip: Every room was nice, I stayed in one at the "main floor" with views to the garden and the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Edit806
There are newer reviews for Ben Cruachan Guest House

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed in room 2 which is on the street level in the building and the window looks over the backyard. 3 rooms are on the street level and breakfast and other rooms on the lower level. I arrived early in the day from my flight from The States, and was happy that I could leave my bag at the B&B until check-in and I could start exploring the city. The location is about a 10-15 minute walk from the middle of town, but an easy walk (and downhill from town which is nice after walking uphill most of the day). Room was very clean with sherry, coffee/tea, cookies, etc. in the room, which was welcome after a long day. Bathroom was clean and shower had a lot of hot water! Could hear others going in and out of rooms, but everyone was quiet and respectful so not a problem.

I had a tv in my room, but there is also a sitting room on the first level as my room with reading, tv, etc. so a good place to relax on couches.

The breakfasts were great with a lot of options. Jackie shops local so everything is fresh and I definitely did not start the day hungry!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tazcatrophy
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at this lovely B&B in Edinburgh, having booked a long time ago to make sure we got the dates we needed. I can say from my first email everything was excellent . We were made so welcome by our host Jackie . We had a beautiful room, enjoyed delicious breakfasts of amazing quality, this was one of the reasons we wanted to stay at Ben cruachan the reviews say it all Jen.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great location near the main city sights. Rooms were decorated very nicely and were very comfortable. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay and both were cosy and comfortable. Although the second room did not have an ensuite bathroom, I had access to a private bathroom just next to my room. Breakfast was great! I tried the hot English breakfast, the porridge and fruit platter during my stay and everything was yummy. Jackie was also very friendly and helpful during my stay. She gave me a discount card to the Royal Yacht Britannia, which was really near the bnb. She also allowed me to store my luggage after I checked out from the room. I highly recommend this bnb.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We discovered the most wonderful place to stay in central Edinburgh, offering fantastic rooms with a super breakfast included in the price of the room, also free wi fi tea & coffee good toiletries decanter of sherry topped up every day. We could not believe the good value compared to other B&Bs we stayed in on this holiday. We have loved everything about Edinburgh and Leith very good restaurants close to Ben cruachan would certainly use here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have really enjoyed our stay at Jackies lovely hotel. Our room was total luxury with a great large comfortable bed, very large shower, we appreciated all the lovely touches provided mainly the sherry each evening. The breakfast was absolutely delicious the best choice we have been offered on this trip, the salmon and eggs are still on our mind. Jackie your hospitality and service was more than we could have asked for, you made Edinburgh very special.Sharon and Don

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sharon w
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a 17 day anniversary trip to Scotland. Our holiday began and ended at Ben Cruachan Guest House. I searched for hours on Trip advisor about accommodations and felt confident regarding our choice. We were not disappointed! We requested the largest and most quiet room with a view of the garden. The accommodations were just right! The yellow and black room was just beautiful. It provided adequate storage, room darkening drapes, and had a lovely garden view. The en-suite bathroom had a large shower and double sink and a storage area with lots of hangers and places to organize your belongings. We enjoyed sitting on the back patio for drinks several times. The flowers were lovely and we enjoyed the long summer evenings.
We were greeted by Jackie five hours after our expected arrival, but she was gracious and understanding of our delayed flights. We unpacked and enjoyed the best sherry I have ever tasted (I don't usually drink sherry). We had a light dinner in New Town and retired early. Breakfasts were all I expected and more (I had high expectations as breakfast was my husbands #1 concern and that was part of my research!) Food quality was top notch and table setting was efficient and stylish. I enjoyed the small dining area. It was decorated with taste and provided a special and peaceful atmosphere. We had a different breakfast everyday for 4 days. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit tray with Greek yogurt and the porridge with real cream and honey (my husband thought the whiskey served in a quaint crystal pitcher was amazing!). Jackie pulled breakfast off with ease even with several in the room at the same time.
As we enjoy walking and the weather was fine, we walked from the B & B into Old Town two different days, and the Royal Botanical Gardens and New Town another day. We preferred walking and it only took us about 15-20 minutes either direction. We got a good feel for the city in this way, and I only gained 4 pounds during my trip instead of 10! If we desired, there was a bus stop a half block away and buses were readily available.
We returned to Ben Cruachan after touring around Scotland as it was preferable to staying at the airport hotel. Unfortunately, our flight was changed and we had to depart 2 hours earlier than expected. Jackie offered to make us a "sack breakfast" to eat on the bus ride to the airport. We appreciated this extra effort and it made our early morning travel more manageable. (The tram doesn't run until after 5 am, and the direct bus ride to the airport only took 35 minutes).
I have only one suggestion for improvement, and that is to have alternate bedding if the weather is warm. I LOVE duvet covered down comforters, and Ben Cruachan's are ultra nice, but a bit thick for summer. There was a light blanket available, but no top sheet. I didn't ask for one, but it might be nice to have a top sheet or an empty duvet cover available just in case.
Overall, we had a delightful visit at Ben Cruachan and our holiday in Scotland started and ended in style.
Jackie, we appreciate all your hospitality and even driving us up to Leith!! I enjoyed our little chats and a small peek into life in Edinburgh! You have a beautiful city. I hope to return again someday. Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple