Classic Guest House
Masson House(Edinburgh)
Prestonfield(Edinburgh)
KM Central(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bcity centrebell innnice guesthousebus linesexcellent place to staytop floormin walkday ticketbus stopenjoyed our stayfirst floorexcellent breakfastlovely roomcomfortable bedshort stayarthur's seat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a quaint place on a quiet road. Around 45 minutes' brisk walk to High Street. An easy 10 minutes' walk takes you to a parallel road where any of the frequent busses take you into city centre in 5 minutes. By taxi, around 30 minutes from Edinburgh Airport, cost me just under 25 pounds.

I had a large attic room (number 8, if memory serves me right) all to myself for nearly a week. The room was tastefully decorated and spotless (and it is hard to fake spotless with white bedding, white towels and white bathroom tiles). Very comfortable enormous bed. Could hardly hear the neighbouring rooms. Good bit of storage space. The owners were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nothing fancy but good, and plenty of it.

Things that made my stay a little more interesting: (1) The staircase leading from first floor to top level is quite narrow and winding, but after a few trips up and down I learned to navigate it, and the owner helped me with my bags upon arrival and departure; (2) The bathroom is small and showering in the tiny cubicle takes some getting used to (it is all a matter of angles); (3) The only window in the room was above the bed, so it had to remain closed when it rained. The cool part was that, standing on the bed and looking out of the window, I had views for miles.

My only real gripe happened on arrival - I was told that there was something wrong with the toilet in my room (it was working but noisy, or something of the sort), and that a plumber was on his way. I showered and went into town, and the work was completed by the time I got back. The owners were very apologetic about this and I understand that this is not a big hotel where they could just give me a different room.

It would have been useful to have a safe and a bar fridge in the room, but I guess you cannot have everything.

I had a very pleasant stay and would definitely return here if I visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We chose to stay here due to a personal recommendation from my wife’s friend from Brazil. We are so happy that we have found this great little place to stay in Edinburgh. We loved our stay!

The Classic Guest House is impressive for its owner’s hospitality and cleanliness. Located in a fairly quiet, residential area it is only a short distance from the city centre – it’s easy to hop on a bus to Princes Street, or if the weather is nice, walk to the centre. The double room was spacious and the beds very comfortable for a good night’s sleep. The decor of the building is great with lovely ornate ceiling coving and great furniture in the bedrooms and communal areas. The bathroom had a good powerful shower and the towels were clean and fluffy. Breakfast was delicious with an excellent and varied choice of options and the service friendly and attentive.

We will definitely be back to Edinburgh and book again to stay at “The Classic”. The only difference this time is that my wife and I are not only a couple but we are now a family with a little baby boy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Classic Guest House is a very clean and comfortable B&B with genuine, friendly owners. The double room was very comfortable and I was delighted to see lovely soft cotton bed linen - a classy touch. The guest house is located within a fairly quiet, residential area which is only a short distance from the city centre - we actually walked to and from Princes Street - this is about a 20-30 minute walk each way with lots of shops and cafés on the way.
Our stay was extremely comfortable and cosy and I would definitely recommend this guest house to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Had a great stay here . The owners couldnt do enough for us . They had nice cold water on arrival & gave us chocolates when we left . The rooms were very clean & cossy beds were good to sleep Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We enjoyed 6 nights over new year and were impressed with the owners and overall cleanliness. The only problem was the size of the en suite shower and toilet which was very small, and the wardrobe space was limited. The bed was fine though and it was very peaceful. Breakfast was good and the owners were very attentive. I recommend getting the bus into the city as it is quite a walk and thankfully parking permits are provided.

• Stayed: December 2013