“Great food. Efficient service”
Review of The Kitchin

The Kitchin
Ranked #45 of 2,454 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leith
Description: The Kitchin presents modern British seasonal cuisine influenced by French cooking techniques and an appreciation of the best quality ingredients available from Scotland's fantastic natural larder. The restaurant’s philosophy ‘From Nature to Plate’, is a true reflection of Tom’s passion for the finest, freshest Scottish seasonal produce and the cooking at the restaurant reflects Tom’s training under some of the world’s best chefs blended with his own Scottish heritage.
Reviewed August 31, 2016

One of the best 1-star restaurants we even dined in. We had a preset lunch for 2, with a few upcharges and one drink. The total - about 150 USD. Cheaper than some of the NYC places. Delicious food with creative plating. The place was busy, so the service was efficient, but not overly friendly. I am not sure I would make a special trip to Scotland just to dine there. But, if you are in Leith to see the Royal Yacht, this is a wonderful opportunity for lunch.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (4,081)

Reviewed August 31, 2016

My husband has always wanted to eat Grouse on the Glorious Twelfth - so, as this was his 60th Birthday Year, I treated him to a surprise 3 nights in Edinburgh, with a meal at The Kitchin in the evening of the 12th. Never having eaten at a Michelin Star restaurant, we were slightly apprehensive as to how it would be. However, all the staff were so very pleasant & attentive and we never for a minute felt ill at ease. We had the seasonal menu (with Grouse of course!). As each course was delivered to our table, the ingredients were explained to us so we knew exactly what we were eating! The Grouse had been collected by Tom Kitchin himself just after lunch & berries picked by his Mother-in-law! Neither of us drink alcohol & I had explained this when I had rung to confirm the booking. Consequently, a jug of fresh water was placed on our table & our glasses always kept full. As I was aware that all restaurants get a healthy profit from their alcohol sales, I had wondered whether this would affect the way we were treated - but this was not the case. Throughout our time in the restaurant, we were very aware of the care & attention given to details - starting from our arrival, when I was given a stool to place my handbag on (no putting it on the floor in this establishment!). This all added up to a truly memorable experience. I am sure that my husband will always look back on his 60th Birthday treat with very good memories. The bill was much more than I have ever paid at a restaurant - but we were paying for the whole experience, not just the delicious food (and it was delicious)

2  Thank Janice G
Reviewed August 31, 2016

Made use of the Set Lunch vouchers our relatives recently gave us. We were not disappointed! Our thoughts were very much in line with previous reviews - absolutely superb! We will definitely be back and will spread the good news to friends, family and anybody else who will listen.

Reviewed August 31, 2016

Had set lunch here on Saturday 27th August--fringe time---its a busy busy place--the quality of the food is without question superb---its taken years to get here but well worth the visit
However--not getting carried away--on the down side--yes its operated by humans--so errors can be made--not getting to pinickity------water yes please--still or sparkling--still---bottle NOT left on table --end of meal --bill comes--charged £15 for 3 bottles---dont really know--so rather naughty--ok so its only a £5 a bottle !--yeah but lets be fair if it was wine--the bottle would have stayed ON the table--so you knew how much you drank
And finally the service--nothing special Tom ---the waitress who served us ranted through the options to our menu so fast it was like the checkout at Aldi !--very confusing indeed--and to be--frank-topped off by a bit of a tut from the waitress when we all (4) of us actually ordered the same thing !!!!!!----------so---------it was and is good and will have no problem in getting loads of customers ------but it does--in my opinion--have a lot to learn from other --not so famous --restaurants

Reviewed August 29, 2016 via mobile

This was my second time eating at The Kitchin. First time was sublime. Second time always runs the risk of failing to meet expectations following first experience. No need to worry. It was brilliant. Again.

Staff are excellent. Friendly, personable, professional and extremely knowledgeable. Food is exceptional, the best I've ever eaten. Tom is always on the pass, keeping standards high. Expensive, but worth it.

1  Thank kirstegordon