“The best meal I have ever had!”
Review of The Kitchin

The Kitchin
Ranked #19 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Southampton
“The best meal I have ever had!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We booked this restaurant as we were in Edinburgh for the Royal Tattoo. We did not know too much about the menu but it was recommended to us by a real ‘foodie’ so we knew it would be good.

Everything about this place is excellent; from the moment you step in until the moment you leave you are left wanting for nothing. The staff are amazingly efficient and the whole place runs like a well oiled machine.

We started with cocktails in the bar and were given delicious flat breads with a creamy cheese dip. We were so excited by everything on the menu and found it too hard to choose so we opted for the surprise tasting menu. This was six courses of amazing dishes with wonderful flavours and beautifully presented, as eat dish arrived the waiter/tress would explain exactly what you were eating. One of the courses was grouse which was just superb. Thank goodness we were given the menu to take home as I would never have been able to remember everything!

It was my husband’s 50th birthday and unbeknownst to us my mother had contacted the restaurant to let them know, so they presented him with a wonderful chocolate cake complete with a candle at the end of the meal. It was just such a pity that we were so full but we still managed to squeeze in a slice!

This certainly was one of the most expensive meals we have ever had and therefore it had to be a really special occasion to justify the cost. But it was an experience that we will never forget and I hope that we can eat there again one day.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
uk
“So close but not perfect”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We had lunch here recently and although very good it lacked that certain something to elevate it to excellent. The menu choice is very good whilst the meals are beautifully presented with some excellent flavours. However, the restaurant itself lacks atmosphere and this may be due to the fact that although the service was very professional we felt that everything was done by the book - it was as if all the staff were reading and acting from a script, very little interaction or warmth at all and also too many different waiters serving each of the tables.
We enjoyed our lunch but didn't enjoy the cost of the final bill. Would we recommend it? We possibly would as it was a very good lunch but not however outstanding. Unlike some memorable meals we have eaten we cannot really remember what we had to eat there and that was not down to too much of their rather expensive wine!

• Visited July 2014
Warwickshire
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Ate hear by myself being a young chef wanting to learn and try many different places whilst I was on Holliday! And it really did impress the food was top quality and service was second to none! Possibly some of the best food I've ever eaten!

• Visited May 2014
Sale, United Kingdom
“Worth waiting for!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I've wanted to go here for nearly two years so was over the moon when my husband booked us in for my birthday!
The restaurant is beautifully designed with a lovely intimate but classy feel.
The staff were all very charming and helpful but I have to say for a period once we had first sat down we did feel a bit bombarded by various staff taking food orders, drink orders, bringing (beautiful) bread then water etc.. It was a bit like no-one was sure if we had been attended to so they were all coming at us! Maybe that was because we were right in the corner and I was a little bit excited about being there so probably could have just done with 5minutes alone to take in our surroundings type of thing.
Anyway that did not deter from an outstanding meal (we both had the taster menu) with, from there on in, impeccable service. I don't eat red meats and that was catered for without issue.. The wine was divine and every course was just mind blowingly delicious. One course my husband had was apparently the MOST amazing thing he had ever eaten - 'pig's head & langoustine - he even dreamt about it that night!!
We were there late (9.30 sitting with min 2hrs for the taster menu) but there was no feeling at all that we needed to speed up with our final drinks that we took through to the bar, totally opposite in fact as you were made to feel that they were very happy we were still there enjoying it?!
All in all it was was of the best meals and nights I've had and I would dine here again in a flash - well waiting list permitting of course!!
We also really appreciated the very simple little touches such as the map of Scotland you are given with your meal that highlights where all the food you are eating is sourced from..
And then at the end of the meal you are presented with a dated copy of your own menu! A really charming and delightful keepsake! (Oh not forgetting the birthday card off Tom that was sat on the table waiting for me!! I was super over the moon with that!!)

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect Lunch”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Sorry can not find anything to criticise.
Can only say it is a treat from the moment you arrive.
Memorable. Delicious Food. Great atmosphere.

1 Thank familygathering1