“Holistic Experience”

The Kitchin
Ranked #16 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Belfast
“Holistic Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

A couple of weeks ago my partner and I paid a visit to 'The Kitchin' during a holiday in Edinburgh. As frequent travelers and food lovers we decided to indulge in a quite expensive yet unforgettable dinner at one of Edinburgh's most excellent spots. The food was remarkable, delicious and sophisticated. The service impeccable. The wine list was outstanding. The young sommelier, who was warm and very well informed explained in interesting details our options. The right combination of food and wine gave us the complete and superb culinary experience that we were looking for! Well done The Kitchin!

• Hebrew first
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Took the tasting menu with wines. Every dish a surprise with some I'd not have chosen from a standard menu but really liked when served - shed the pre-conceptions and enjoy! Staff great, pace relaxed, birthday card for my wife on the table signed by the Main Man. Well done Mr K and staff, a real treat.

London, United Kingdom
“Satisfied but not ecstatic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Overall a good experience with good food and a nice ambience. I'm surprised, however, that so many people rate this place "outstanding" because I don't think it is. We had the tasting menu which was good value at £70 per head (as I've never walked out of a michelin starred restaurant so full up). That said, none of the dishes were outstanding; I would rate each of them as either "good" or "very good" - but nothing REALLY impressed me. Service was fine, although I did find the head waiter a little full of himself, and I did have to ask for the menu as it still hadn't been given to us 10 minutes after being seated. I'd be happy to recommend this place, but I wouldn't say it was extra special.

1 Thank Steve W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Oustanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

LAST YEAR on my birthday I visited one of Edinburgh’s Michelin starred eateries with the highest expectations only for that expectation to turn into disappointment. I regretted not visiting The Kitchin that night but would not make the same mistake with this year’s celebrations.

The restaurant was recently named eighth best restaurant in the UK and with the successful a launch of a new cookbook, Kitchin Suppers, Chef Tom Kitchin’s reputation as one of the countries most talented chefs is ever rising.

It was a cold but sunny day as we walked into the bright reception/bar of the restaurant, taking in the lovely views of modern day Leith outside. Our table was ready, so straight in we went, noticing the large open panel where Tom’s chefs were beavering away for the patrons of this full dining room.

Our server passed us our menus and placed down our crudités with Dunsyre Blue dip topped with buckwheat. It tasted so good, I wanted to dip my finger in and polish it off!

Equally impressive was the amuse bouche; chicken in a rich jelly with crispy bacon, apple and a nice citrus/aniseedy note. This had clearly been well thought out, not just the boring old gesture of some sort of Veloute or deep fried ball of something or other.

The dining room itself was very spacious and decorated elegantly, almost with an ‘in your living room’ effect. Very pleasing to see a lot of younger dinners out as well – something the Michelin scene can lack.

We placed our order and the sommelier talked us though the wine list to match one to our pairings. He was extremely knowledgeable and I even overheard him talking about one of the villages a wine had been produced as if he’d lived there all his life.

My ravioli of braised North Sea squid with langoustine bisque was sensational. The bisque was light but packed with so much flavour I could have put it in a glass and had it as a drink. The ravioli was thin and packed with squid – great size of a portion, especially for lunch.

My partner had bone marrow with mushrooms and a stunning potato garnish (see picture). Tom’s famous for using lesser found cuts and this was a great example of his knowledge and technique produces dishes like this little gem.
Braised ox cheek with potato puree, baby onions and lardons awaited me I could cut the ox cheeks with the back of my knife. The rich sauce and silky, smooth mash was the perfect dish to warm the cockles.

You could see Tom Kitchin watching eagle-eyed in the kitchen, tasting, tasting, and tasting to ensure every minute detail is prefect. You don’t become the youngest recipient of a Michelin star for nothing.

Sarah’s poached guinea fowl from Burnside farm with celeriac, turnip, beetroot and gratinated polenta was just as good and great how the chef proudly shows off where the produce is sourced. The bird was so moist and just melted in your mouth with the nice earthy flavours from the winter veg being topped off with the melting sensation being cut through from the gratinated polenta.

Every great meal must come to an end but when the time comes, you most definitely want to end it with a dessert of this magnitude – Apple crumble soufflé with vanilla ice cream.
The huge soufflé was equally risen well above the mould. The best part was getting that hot and cold sensation as your spoon unearthed the apple puree in the middle of the soufflé, which was as light as air. The sweet, creamy ice cream count acting the sharpness of the apple in this dessert you just didn’t want to stop eating.

I’d have cut my left arm off to stay for dinner. From the Maitre d’ to the sommelier and the servers all were all a credit to themselves and The Kitchin. Tom’s ‘from nature to plate’ philosophy deserves to be championed and experienced by all. If you haven’t been then The Kitchin needs to be at the top of your ‘places to eat’ list. Last year’s disaster was now a distant memory.

• Visited October 2012
Glasgow
“The best food I have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently experienced a fantastic lunch in the kitchin. We went for the surprise menu with matching wines and it was outstanding. Each course was amazing and wines were perfectly matched. We were given a map of Scotland which detailed where all the produce is sourced and we thought this was an excellent touch. We asked for a copy of our tasting menu and were delighted when we saw that Tom himself had signed it for us as a momento. This was a fantastic experience and we will definately be going back as soon as we can. We were served by a lovely French girl who made the whole experience even better. You must visit the kitchin when you can. Lovely for a special occasion.