“Brilliant Evening”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
Aberdeen
“Brilliant Evening”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our first visit to this restaurant and we went for a birthday celebration with family and friends. As other reviews have mentioned the menu offers traditional French cuisine and we found the quality and variety to be excellent. This is no nonsense cooking in a very simple set-up but we all rated it one of the best meals we had experienced.
To make the meal complete the serving staff were attentive and friendly throughout.
Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Really excellent with great views”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

n a city with a lot of good restaurants La Garrigue competes with the best. Impressive both front of house and the imaginative cooking. The location is excellent with good views.

Interesting menu and good value dinner - 2 courses for £25.

My crab and squid tartlet first course was outstanding as was the fish of the day.

I can confidently recommend this to everybody

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“So Glad We Returned”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

After a short break we decided to visit La Garrigue again. So glad we did! Lots of atmosphere, traditional French cuisine, really good coffee and staff who were friendly and attentive. They do know how to make you feel special.

Didn't notice the lack of music as the place was "hoatching" (Scots for really busy) with wonderful ambience.

Bishopbriggs, Scotland
“Magnifique!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We have just returned home after enjoying yet another five star meal in La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street, the French restaurant which always delivers the highest standard of authentic southern French cuisine in the heart of Edinburgh. To be honest, I’m still not sold on the rather silent early evening atmosphere (no music) or the purple painted wooden walls but, unquestionably, the food on offer is of the very highest quality in every way.
On this evening’s visit, we decided to select options different from our usual choices. With so many high quality dishes on offer, it would have been remiss to again pass over the other options on the menu.
Some French rustic bread and a small amuse bouche started the evening’s proceedings, and was soon followed by the starter. The homemade rabbit, hare and walnut terrine which we both settled upon represented a fitting opening to our meal. This was washed down by a very smooth glass of rosé, and we eagerly anticipated the delights yet to come in our main courses. As we already knew how wonderful the cheek of beef would have been (both of us having chosen it on our previous visit) we forced ourselves to select different options on this visit. As it was proving difficult to make a decision on what to select from the options available, I allowed myself to be swayed by our friendly waiter’s enthusiastic description of the fish of the day, which this evening was plaice cooked with a tempting array of accompaniments. His enthusiasm was justified, of course and, when it arrived, the fish was simply exquisite, melting in the mouth with light buttery richness. My wife’s guinea fowl too was impressive and full of wonderful flavours. I was fortunate enough to be permitted to sample a mouthful of her meal, so I can confirm that this tasted just beautiful too.
Being on a diet, I have normally stopped eating sweets and desserts but, when tempted by the offerings of this fine establishment, surely an exception can be made, and the dessert we both chose, the hazelnut parfait, was, as ever, of the highest standard.
It occurs to me that this was the first visit we have made to this restaurant in daylight, so I was finally able to enjoy the view over central Edinburgh which other reviewers have mentioned. Previously, my only view through the window has been of the winter rain hammering against the glass in darkness, so the church spires and the monuments and trees of Calton Hill which I could see from our table this evening made for a pleasant change.
Another plus point on this visit was the table which we were allocated when we arrived. For the first time in our four or five visits here, we were shown to the corner with the famous sloping floor, to the left of the entrance. Upon the arrival of our wine, I managed to resist the temptation to bend horizontally to see if it was sitting at an angle in our glasses, but I have to say that I do like a restaurant which is in possession of a unique stylistic quirk such as this.
On departing I was honoured to again have the opportunity to shake the hand of our esteemed host, Monsieur Jean Michel, who normally stays quietly in the background, keeping an unobtrusive but keenly observant eye on all proceedings. Now, don’t be fooled by those forthright and straight talking responses to the previous points and complaints raised in other TripAdvisor reviews. Our M Jean Michel is a charming and genial gent, who is happy to share a friendly word and a joke on your departure as he bids you goodbye.
We can’t wait for our next opportunity to visit Edinburgh when, as usual, we will have no problem in deciding which restaurant to choose for our evening meal.
A bientot, mes amis!

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent value lunch”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

How lovely to find a restaurant doing real cooking for an excellent value lunch. You really could be in a traditional French restaurant. I loved my fish with a pearl barley risotto. I especially appreciate that it has no music so I was able to relax and enjoy conversation with my friends who were also delighted with their meals. The place was busy and had that contented buzz of a good restaurant. Nice art on the walls.

• Visited March 2014