“Very good food and service”
Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
Ranked #62 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
Helsinki, Finland
“Very good food and service”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Food was excellent and good value for the money. Three course meal was 30£ and definitely worth every penny.

I had terrine for starter and it was really good. Beef cheeck on main was one of the most tender meats I have ever tasted.

Service was excellent and very precise. Only downside was that our table was next to some cleaning room with no door in between and dishwasher sound was somewhat annoying.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
scottish borders
“Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a fabulous meal we had at La Garrigue on Monday night. There was a lovely welcome from the owner whenever we walked through the door. The food was really excellent and a lot of care taken to detail and presentation. Would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves good quality french food. It will be on our revisit list!

• Visited June 2013
New Zealand
“Now that was worth the trip!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just to put this review in perspective. Having read the TA reviews and watched "the" TV series, we were confident enough to book a table at La Garrigue before leaving our home in New Zealand.
En route to Edinburgh we had eaten our way through Singapore and London,but still came away with nothing like the memories we have of this restaurant.
A perfectly charming welcome, was quickly followed by the house speciality cocktail.A great way to start any evening!
We had a two course dinner, which at 25 pounds sterling, was amazing value for money.
A bottle of quite expensive Rose wine was our choice, and it was absolutely delicious.
My wife chose the fish soup as her starter and I the black pudding, both amazing.
The cassoulet and the duck dish were our choice of mains. Both dishes were so flavorsome, that they are still etched on our memories!
Full marks to J-Michel and his team. I would have enjoyed meeting him; to shake his hand and say what a pleasure it had been.
Thanks once again to everyone at La Garrigue.

• Visited May 2013
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for this review; It really mean a lot to the team.
To put it in perspective, I have had costumer in the past you told me that they were living in the other side of town as a reason not to come more often......and you came all the way from New Zealand for a fish soup and cassoulet????
Next time ,give me a call and I send them to you it will save you the price of the ticket!!
Seriously, I am thrilled that you had such a good experience at La Garrigue, The fact that I was not here is even better for me, as it proves that the team, under the guidance of Morgan is doing very well indeed. It is the problem for a small business open 7 days a week; the Boss cannot be there every day, and I would like to meet all my clients...
The rose wine you ordered from the Domaine Haut Gleon , in the Corbieres is by far the best rose I ever tasted ; it is pricy but like you I think it is worth every penny...
One again thanks for the rewiew and I hope you have enjoyed your holidays in the old continent.
Kind regards,
J-Michel and the team
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Superb Evening”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Having Visited La Garrigue a few times previously, we are more than impressed to see the standards of the food and service improve with every visit. We were in Edinburgh from Birmingham to celebrate our wedding anniversary. On the night we dined it was quiet in the restaurant, but this didn't affect our enjoyment or experience one bit, in fact it made it better as the attention from the staff was more attentive and relaxed. The food served was superb. We approved of the set menu, which had a good range of dishes and some excellent, I thought vegetarian options which were thoughtful and packed with flavour. The souffle starter was moreish and was well made. My main course vegetable pithivier/pie was excellent and plentiful. My wife enjoyed her dishes also. Her souffle was fantastic she said. My creme brulee was exceptional, the best I have had. At all times the service was attentive and relaxed. The wine list is also well thought out with good choices at all prices. The set menu is good value. The restaurant has character and is well laid out and romantic. La Garrigue is a delightful French restaurant that I would quite happily transport to Birmingham. Well worth another visit to Edinburgh for soon, I think.

• Visited May 2013
jm1789, Manager at La Garrigue, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Please, you have to stop writing things like that about us, or next time you come around I will have to give you a free meal!!
Thanks for coming back again...and again...
Hope to see you again soon.
J-Michel
“Great”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We loved this restaurant. It was quiet when we visited as it was a rainy Monday night but it didn't matter. The staff were very welcoming and we sat down at a nice table. For starters I had rabbit terrine and the boyfriend had an amazing roquefort souffle. Then I had sea bream with mussel chowder and he had rabbit. All was excellent and we finished with some delicious cheese. Would highly recommend!

1 Thank SazzaTLondon