“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
Ranked #59 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
edinburgh
“Delicious”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Don't know why, but we'd never been here before and will definitely return. Lovely atmosphere, informal and friendly. The food is delicious and excellent value for money, we've eaten at much more expensive restaurants and not had half as good quality or service. 5 stars all the way.

jm1789, Manager at La Garrigue, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Nice to be still discovered after so may years ; We are always delighted to see some new faces and get some great feedback. Hope to see you soon gain.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
“Lovely place, lovely food, great time.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My partner and I took advantage of a special deal to visit this restaurant. My partner had already visited once and was very complimentary about the food.

On arrival we were met by friendly staff who were pleasant and efficient. The food was wonderful and the meat (I had the cheek of beef and my partner had the cassolet) was so tender and served with beautiful sauces, The starters and desserts were to die for.

We chatted with the owner for a while and I can understand why it was so popular - he has the right ideas about quality and customer service.

I would have marked this higher had it not been for the fact that when the bill came we were charged for a full bottle of wine instead of a single glass. That notwithstanding (it was sorted there and then with no fuss) this is a fantastic place to eat if you want good environs, great food and friendly and efficient staff at a price what wont break the bank. We will return to this one for sure.

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing La Garrigue for your dinner. I am once again delighted to see thatb the team has delivered to your expectation.
Thank you also for taking the time to write this review who will help us to increase our rating.
Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,
North Berwick Scotland
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We dined here with a travelzoo voucher. Enjoyed the variety on the small but perfectly formed menu. Featured wines are from the Lanquedoc and reasonable priced. Service spot on! Worth a visit even without a voucher.

1 Thank crewsaustin
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for some very kind feedback. Voucher or not , I hope you will come back again soon.
Best regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Colourful, comfortable and cooking at its best”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

First time at this restaurant and definitely wont be the last. Classic french cooking at its best along with some excellent wines. Colourful walls, glasses & crockery gives it that little bit of quirkiness.Dont want to describe the dishes that we had because i believe one must try it for themselves and Im sure you wont be let down. If you like rustic french food with bags of flavour, this is your place.We will be back soon.

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Traveller,
Thanks for popping in. Happy to know you had a good experience at La Garrigue, and we are all looking forward to see you again soon.
Merci,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“This place deserves all the great reviews”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My girlfriend and myself had dinner here last night for a small celebration.

The service was attentive and charming without being intrusive despite the fact that it was a quiet Tuesday night service. This was very much appreciated.

The food was fantastic although my girlfriend's dishes always looked better than mine (not that there was anything wrong with what I chose. Scallops were cooked to perfection on a bed of lentils and my rabbit in pastry was light but very flavoursome, a perfect starter. If there was one small complaint it was that the scallops were a tiny touch over seasoned in combination with the saltiness of the ham.

Main courses were a delight with my dining companion choosing the rabbit and myself the cassoulet. Both were cooked to perfection and perfect portion sizes as I'm greedy!

Desserts were showstopping but a swap was made as we both preferred each others. The raspberry sorbet and creme fraiche ice cream was a thing of beauty on the plate and in the mouth and the lavender creme brulee was everything a creme brulee should be.

In summary, for £30 a head, La Garrique provides fantastic value for money and amazing French bistro food and service that many other places in Edinburgh could learn a lot from. We'll definetely be back.

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Well , thank you for taking the time to write such an other good review.
Happy to see you had a good time with us. I am not sure of the meaning of the awards ; it is nice to receive them of course, but I rather receive positive comments from our clients any day!!
Thanks you for choosing La Garrigue.
Hope to see you again soon,