“Relaxed, welcoming, great food!”
Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
Ranked #94 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A lunch with my daughter at La Garrigue on Saturday. The welcome was warm, the staff cheerful and efficient,the atmosphere very relaxed, but above all the food was delicious with all those lovely layers of flavour and seasoning you expect from French cuisine. Its a long time since I have been able to enjoy French cooking, I fell in love with it all over again. There was a good choice and when the food arrived, very promptly, it was delicious. Its a great position for a restaurant, in the city centre, but with pleasant views to ponder. I heartily recommend it. I see one of the other reviewers didn't much like the decor, I did, at last a place where the decor didn't get in the way. This restaurant is about good food and pleasant company. Please stay the same. I'll definitely be back and have recommended it to all my friends. I see also that jean Michel has put up some of his recipes on La Garrigue's website...more please, especially the seasonings in that lovely spinach underneath the rabbit ravioli. ..still trying to fathom it! Thank you Jean Michel for your welcome, your staff and as I said before especially your food.

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for choosing La GARRIGUE for lunch Saturday and for the great review. The rabbit ravioli ...I love it.the spinach; a drop of olive oil, a hint of garlic a light pintch of sugar....yes I know....and a bit of grated nutmeg...mind you do not eat to much of it; see what happened to the French rugby team in Rome on Sunday....far too many ravioli that,'s what I say!!!!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been to La Garrigue many times and it never disappoints. I had wanted to take my mum for some time, and yesterday I did. She loved it! The food was fantastic, properly French, and the service second to none. I would highly recommend La Garrigue for its food, people, ambience, and, of course, the charming Jean-Michel!

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Jess,
Thanks for bringing you Mum for lunch, it is always nice to meet some new people.
I am not sure about "Charming J-Michel", you should have see me yesterday after the Italy/France rugby game!!!
Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards
J-M

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I must admit , this restaurant wasn't our first choice. We had called several "top-class" restaurants, who did not want to take us as we had a 10-month old. So we looked further online and found this one. The reaction to our question whether we could bring a baby was a friendly:"bien sure!". This was the first positive experience.

Arrived in the restaurant, the table was already prepared with a high chair, which was nice. We were greeted friendly. The restaurant had a simple, but nice decor. We liked the chairs, which were purely wood, but I had a quite comfortable one. The plates for the food had a nice touch with different colors, nothing posh, but just adding a bit of difference to the dinner.

Fresh bread with nice butter was served. We got a good recommendation for a red wine. We are drinking regularly wine, so we are very picky. Generally not a fan of wine from the south of france, but the one we had was actually good.

As starter we had the fish soup and the pigeon breast. The pigeon was very tender and the purree it was served on added the right sweetness to the dish. As main we had pheasant and beef cheeks. The cheeks just melted in the mouth. The pheasant were nice and crusty outside, tasty and not dry inside. The sauce for both dishes was rich and added the right flavour to the dish, nothing too strong. I was surprised by the portion. I had expected smaller portions for this type of restaurant. My wife couldnt even finish her pheasant, although it was delicious. We wouldnt have complained about smaller portions.

The desert was the right finish for a great meal. Tarte de citron and creme brûlée. The french know their dessert I would say. The espresso was fairly strong, but good coffee. Finished with two small sweets

The staff and the owner were very friendly. Although the restaurant got full very quickly, the atmosphere didn't seem stressful (there was no running around). For one thing I would suggest for improvement, the pause between dishes was short. I guess it depends on the culture. Having lived in France (and having a french wife), we are used more to long dinners with nice breaks. Gives some time to enjoy the wine and the conversation. Other people would prefer to have less breaks inbetween.

Overall it was a great dinner and a great experience. Would come here again. As my wife would say: of course, it's french!

Thanks

Glad you eventually called us! It is always a pleasure to welcome children....the next generation of future costumers....
Thanks for the feed back, will try to give you more time between courses next time.
Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,
J-M

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Entering the restaurant on a cold and windy January evening, the initial impressions were somewhat mixed. A warm welcome from the staff and a beautifully prepared table were somewhat tempered by some frankly odd décor and a funereally silent atmosphere. Although it was a Tuesday evening, and the restaurant was practically empty, we were shown to a table near the door which seemed to have been squeezed in beside the bar. On the walls hung some paintings which were displayed complete with price tags. Of French ambience, there was, frankly, disappointingly little.
However, we were here to enjoy French food, prepared by a kitchen which enjoys one of the best reputations in Edinburgh, so I was prepared to close my eyes to the hideous purple-painted walls and uninviting minimalist décor. And anyway, as several more groups arrived shortly after us, the atmosphere began to lighten up somewhat, although perhaps some gentle French accordion music playing quietly in the background might have lent a welcome ambience to the proceedings.
But enough of the criticisms, when our food arrived we realised just why the team here enjoy the reputation that they have. Firstly, and without asking, some delicious bread was presented at the table. Always a welcome beginning, and something to whet the appetite as you await the delights yet to come; too many restaurants omit this important, and surely inexpensive, nicety. The starters now arrived, and the scallops I had chosen were beautifully cooked, retaining their full juicy flavour and spongy consistency, and complimented perfectly by garlic butter and fennel broth. In fact, I would go so far as to say, these were the best scallops I have ever tasted! My wife’s ham shank and apple terrine starter was equally impressive, and we now looked forward eagerly to our main courses.
Again, the dishes served to us were of the highest quality, with my cod in Camargue rice with lobster bisque cooked to perfection and full of wonderful flavours, while my wife too was delighted with her pork confit duck and Toulouse sausages. I was lucky enough to be allowed to sample her dish and, again, I have to say that the duck was cooked lightly and to perfection, juicy and full of flavour. It was just wonderful. All washed down with a glass of Languedoc wine, the meal was a most enjoyable experience, which brightened up a cold winter night.
At only £55 for the above-mentioned meal for two with wine, I felt that we had received excellent value for money for such a high-quality dining experience. I very much enjoyed being served by two people so obviously passionate about their offer and, while my wife was charmed by the authentic French accents, I was impressed by the quiet efficiency and Gallic style of the team.
Definitely deserving of its AA rosettes and other accolades, we are already looking forward to a return visit as soon as possible, when I will sample some of the other very tempting items on the menu. This is a first class restaurant run by people passionate about what they do.
ps, I very much enjoyed reading the other reviews of this restaurant, and especially the straight-talking responses from Jean Michel! Too often a restauranteur will apologise for something that does not merit an apology, or promise to investigate or put right some insignificant or non-existent “problem” that some serial complainer is making an issue of. There is none of that from our Jean Michel! Keep up the good work, sir, and if someone doesn’t like your offer, then they should- as you bluntly suggest- just drive on by!

1  Thank alfaetrin
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Well Sir, If I warmed you up on a cold winter evening, and satisfied your taste buds, today you made my day!! To share this kind of feedback with the team is a real pleasure and it helps to focus and keep working to get better and better....
Andrew Walker the residant Artist came in this morning to replace a painting that I sold last week....he offered to give you one of his canvas next Christmas....
Hope we can raise to your expectation on your next visit.Thank you,
J-Michel and the team

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Having been here once before, my fiancé and I decided that this might be a good choice for lunch. How right we were!

The warmest of welcomes made up for the miserable weather outside. The food was all excellent and great value with three courses for £15.50. Scallops to start, followed by belly pork, and cheese to finish. The missus, having previously sampled the creme brûlée and proclaiming it the best ever, asked whether this might be available despite not appearing on the menu. But of course, nothing was too much trouble.

The food was brilliant, service great and we can't recommend it highly enough. We were even offered an umbrella when we left, as it was raining so heavily!

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks again for choosing La Garrigue.
Glad you appreciated our creme brulee....and the umbrella.
Hope to see you both again soon,
J-Michel