“As close to france as you will get in this city”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
Ranked #59 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
“As close to france as you will get in this city”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here on more than one occasion and also at their former eatery in the new town. I have always found the food to be excellent and i cant believe its this low down the list even with grumpy old paul back at the stove! I am shocked at the comments about poor value as i think its one of the cheapest 2 rossette resturants in edinburgh and certainly the most generous with their portions. Bon noel chef gauffre keep up the good work

1 Thank willyjjg
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I don't know who you are Willy, but thanks for the support.
Grumpy old Paul is mellowing with age but as long as he can keep an ear on the Cricket result he is happy and happy Paul means Happy food!! He has been very suportive over the years and has help me to establish La Garrigue as a destination restaurant in town.
Keep on dinning out Willy, and enjoy the restaurants in Edinburgh,
J-Michel

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and service!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Decided to come here as it is right next to our hotel, and received good reviews. We were not disappointed. It was a little quiet on a Monday night , but started to fill up later. Really friendly waiter who asked about where we came from, our trip so far. Good choice of food, not too many to overwhelm you but enough varied choices. My cheese soufflé was amazing, and the main course of coley with red rice was refreshingly light and delicious. My dad had the ribeye steak which was really well cooked. I just had to try the chocolate fondant, which was worth every single calorie! Real little gem, highly recommend!

Edinburgh
“Fabulous French Dining”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a great place this is. We had a fantastic lunch here, 2 hours in La Garrigue and I came out feeling like I had escaped to France for a quick holiday...brilliant!

The menu is well thought out and interesting (in the best possible way!), what a lovely change to be offered such imaginative and enticing dishes. Our food was delicious, starters were a heavenly pear, walnut and roquefort tart (which I am still dreaming about as it was just so good) and a gorgeous soup with roast garlic. Toulouse sausage with veg and a tender beef cheek pie were perfect for mains, the sausage was served with pan fried potatoes and vegetables and was absolutely bursting with flavour, the pie was comfort heaven! Desserts....well, I could have eaten all four that were on the menu after much deliberation we chose floating islands in vanilla custard and lavender creme brulee.....need I say more!

In a nutshell this place is a gem, ever reliable, first class ingredients, thoughtful menu, superbly presented and delicious food, comprehensive wine list and service was impeccable too. What more can you ask?!

You must visit, we hope to get back soon as soon as we can sort a babysitter out!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JaneHT
Surrey
“Great lunch in Edinburgh”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

A group of us went for lunch at La Garrigue after a business meeting. A warm welcome, a large round table in a back room, fantastic value and tempting lunch menu and great service. I'll certainly go back.

• Visited October 2012
“A wonderful find in Edinburgh”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Thank you for a fantastic meal, the perfect way to end my trip with my fiancé to Edinburgh. For us it was comfort food of the first class! Generous portions and very wholesome food in a warm n cosy setting. It certainly made us very happy on a cold and dreary night. Thank you La Garrigue!