“A wonderful find in Edinburgh”
Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
Ranked #87 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Thank you for a fantastic meal, the perfect way to end my trip with my fiancé to Edinburgh. For us it was comfort food of the first class! Generous portions and very wholesome food in a warm n cosy setting. It certainly made us very happy on a cold and dreary night. Thank you La Garrigue!

There are newer reviews for La Garrigue

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Given that at the time of writing, 80% of reviewers rated this restaurant excellent or very good, we were looking forward to what we expected would be a pleasant and tasty lunch. The decor is attractive, and the staff's French accents reassuring. The starters were unimaginative and fairly bland. I think you can always tell a good restaurant by how carefully it selects its house wine. In this case, their £16 bottle of house red was ... just ok, nothing special. My wife found her main fish dish to be tasty, but my 'checks of beef' were saturated with juice, and oddly seated on a foundation of pasta, with no vegetables. The meal was not good value for money, and in addition we both had upset stomachs for the rest of the afternoon. We have no plans to return, despite the nice French accents and staff, and side with the 20% of reviewers who also had less than positive experiences.

1  Thank enroute55
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

well, what can I say? sorry you did not enjoyed your lunch!?
Yes nof course I would like all of my costumers to leave the restaurant very happy . This is why I get out of bed every morning!!
After more than 35 years in the trade I came to accept that you cannot please everybody; does not matter how hard you try!
I just wished the people had the skills to verbally give their feed back, there and then ; being positive or negative. Why pay for something you do not like, then write about it? It just does not make sense.If things were that bad, have the guts to leave there and then, and go next door.But of course nowadays everybody is a food critics. Nobody talk; everybody text, every Tom , Dick and Harry is a food writer, a jounalist a fine gourmet ....
La Garrigue is a good , honest ,French Bistro. As said before, if you expect trendy, modern, celebrity Chefs food, glamour and glitz....then do yourself a favour and look for the places who are offering what you are looking for. La Garrigue is Languedoc , rustic food; terroir wines, service with a smile and affordable prices.
So my dear Sir, next time you are in Jeffrey street...keep on driving,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

After beating the bad weather, we entered La Garrigue where we were very warmly welcomed by Jean Michel himself (owner and chef).
the atmosphere is quiet as no background music is played but it doesn't disturb as you are not going there for the music. The food : absolutely amazing, the content and flavors of each plate is a pleasure for the senses.
the wine list is great and Jean Michel is a huge connoisseur and will recommend the best to go along with your food.
the staff is also very welcoming, charming french accent, discreet but very effective.
dish recommended: the fish soup, the coley with Camargue rice and mussel + safron.
dessert: the creme brulee with lavender flavour.
I can't wait to come back...
From far the best French restaurant in Edinburgh and not the most expensive

jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thanks for your positive and kind review; it will help to keep the balance following the previous one. It helps to keep things in perspective.
I really did enjoy meeting you and I am delighted that you have had a good evening at La Garrigue.
We all hope to see you again soon,
Best regards,
J-M

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family & I visited this restaurant for a birthday meal. La Garrigue is a French restaurant, and focuses on a rustic Mediterranean feel. This isn’t a paintings review so I won’t go there, but we felt the decor as a whole failed to provide a warm, classy feel.

TIP: If you want to prevent that uncomfortable “I’ve sat here too long” feeling ask for a cushion before you sit down. These are available on request. The proprietor has put to me that he has had feedback from customers in the past who have felt that cushions detract from the style of the Tim Stead chairs. I would rather be comfortable.

The food itself is exquisite. For starters I adventurously partook of the snails and duck gizzards casserole with spicy tomato sauce. It was worth the risk. My taste buds danced with delight. My wife and mother enjoyed their soups. The delightfully presented fish soup almost made me jealous!

Our main course choices consisted of pan fried coley with Camargue rice, mussels, squid and tomato butter. Often fish dishes can be dull and disappointing. Once more however La Garrigues’ chef Jean Michel excelled himself. Two of us enjoyed confit pork belly with flageolet beans and parsley baked tomato. An indulgent choice and not one you would divulge having consumed to your cardiologist. That said it is far too good not to have once in a while. To make this dish perfectly takes a lot of skill and preparation. Again Jean Michel proved why his establishment has repeatedly been awarded AA rosettes, and won Which awards. All three of us were very satisfied with our choices.

La Garrigue cooks with top quality local produce, using Andersons and Campbells for their meat. Their game comes from Scottish estates, and their chicken is French. Jean Michel assures me this is because the quality and consistency is superior to the British alternative.

The wine list lacked a choice of that which could be enjoyed by the glass, although if you were buying a bottle for your table the choice is ample. The quality of what was on offer again was top class, with the wine of the chosen Languedoc region superbly appropriate for the gourmet fare.

Finally to price. Based on food alone this eatery is cheap as chips. However, when you factor in atmosphere and comfort factor, even with that cushion, for me the bill is slightly on the expensive side. I also do not appreciate restaurants which add a 10% service charge as standard to their bills. A tip should be earned, not assumed. For the previously mentioned food, two 175ml glasses of wine and a soft drink we paid £108.90 including the ‘statutory’ service charge. I may be back for lunch, but not dinner.

2  Thank safetyrazor
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Well, thank you for your review.
Happy that you seems to have enjoyed the service and the food; our main objective after all.
La Garrigue is as Gordon Ramsay put it "a charming little French Bistro".No more, no less.
that the AA amongst others institutions, decided to recognised our work and gave us 2 AA rosettes is their decision and we just keep doing what we do, irrelevant of anyone ratings, except our paying customers.
Some people love our decor , our furniture , some even buy our paintings, some others people do not. We are not pretending to be trendy, classy, or luxurious; we are La Garrigue.
I am a bit concerned about you bill, as our 3 courses dinner menu cost £30.00. We have 14 wines by the glass, the most expensive is £6.50 our coffee £2.20 either we made a big mistake in the bill or you must have consumed more than you are stating on your review. Please send me you bill so I can check is a refund is indeed due to you.
Some nights and indeed some lunches, the place is noisy and busy and the athmospher is electric, some time it is not....sometimes there is a kind of chemistry between the clientele and the staff, sometime there is none, people moods do change and affect the ambiance.While we are trying to foster a vibrant athmosphere in the restaurant we do rely on the support of the people there.
The price issue really unsettle me. Recently I went for a wonderfull dinner in one of the city top restaurant. The whole experience was really , trully memorable. On their a la carte menu they had a Cheek of beef priced at £32.00.We buy this cut of meat from the same supplier and we have it on our lunch menu ; 3 courses for £15.50 !!! The difference....really, trully, comfortable seats!!! A matter or priority I suppose.
Salut.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The food is delicious and unusual, and the service superb. When I went in with my Dad, the restaurant manager recognised me from 2 months before, and gave me such a friendly greeting. Excellent at both dinner and for the 'prix fixe' lunch. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Mariota M
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

thank you for taking the time to write a review on the restaurant. I am glad to see that we also made an impression since you returned to dine with us. We are looking forward to see you again soon in the near future.
Kind regards,