“A welcome break on a chilly day”

Hadrian's Brasserie at The Balmoral
Ranked #225 of 2,571 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Ideal for a light lunch or a relaxed dinner, Hadrian’s offers traditional cuisine in an informal setting. On the menu, a mix of Scottish favourites and classic dishes created using the finest regional produce. Balmoral smoked salmon served with shallots, honey and mustard dressing. Blairgowrie chateaubriand served with handcut roosters and St Andrews jus. Smaller appetites are also catered for with our Families R Forte children’s menu. The brasserie’s walls are brought to life with life-sized photographs of pirouetting dancers.
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Having visited Number One the previous day we decided to try Hadrians. As with the other restaurant the service was warm & relaxed. My fillet steak was so good it almost defies description! The sticky ginger pudding was first class too. Only downside was that the bench seat wasn't very sturdy - every time the lady at the adjacent table moved I was jiggled about.
Definitely be back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I always go to hadrians on my birthday as a special treat and my favourite place to get steak, in past years the service has been exceptional, from being greeted by name and welcomed back, to feeling that you are a most welcome guest in the restaurant, however this year I felt things were different - none of the above happened and I felt that some staff (not all) should learn how to smile.
However the exception is the food, still amazing!

balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Hadrian's Brasserie at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your most recent visit to Hadrian’s. I am pleased to read that you were impressed with the quality of food served throughout your dinner.

I am sorry however that the service you encountered on this occasion did not meet with your expectations. I sincerely hope that as a regular visitor, your previous positive impressions will persuade you to return in the future and I would ask that on such occasion you contact me personally so that I can ensure you are well looked after.

Yours sincerely

Gregor Forbes
Hadrian’s Manager
0131 556 2414

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were attracted in by the lunch special of 2 or 3 courses for, I can't quite remember the cost, but something reasonable advertised on the A board outside.

We were given the a la carte menu and a small slate offering 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts.

The contents of the slate were not particularly enticing, chicken and mash and something equally forgetable.

I felt a little duped, but we stayed and dined of the a la carte menu.

The food was good with the terrine, boullaisse and the duck the highlights, but if it hadn't been for the admittedly free bread we would all of left hungry. I did appreciate the bread, but If I had wanted to feel full on bread I would have gone to a sandwich bar. I had steak which was fine, but I didn't expect french fries, fast food type, for the price paid.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went here for dinner for two on a Saturday evening and was a little disappointed having been looking forward to it.

The Good: The food was quite nice and there were some different things on the menu. I had steak tartare (which I managed dispite the fact it has mustard seeds and pickles in it) and roast partridge which was good. The rum baba was also quite tasty.

The Not So Good: As soon as we arrived, there were large clumps of food on the floor under our feet. The maitre d' said shed get a waiter to clean it but no one came so I had to ask again when making our order. The table was also covered in crumbs which just struck me as odd. While being attentive, the waiters were also giving it the hard sell all evening. Asking if we wanted another bottle of wine post-dessert, if we wanted more coffee having already ordered and not received our coffee, then after coffee asking if we wanted more coffee and a bottle off water.

Finally, there was a table with a really loud drunk woman who was babbling on for most of the evening. Half the restaurant turned around when she stood up to leave which was quite funny.

All in all, the food was nice but the atmosphere and the price left us a little disappointed.

balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Hadrian's Brasserie at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your experience of your recent visit to Hadrian’s Brasserie. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food served throughout your dinner but am disappointed to learn that some shortfalls in our service detracted from your overall enjoyment of the evening.

The restaurant was busier then expected on the evening of your visit, and I am very sorry that as a result it appears we have fallen short of the high levels of care and attention that we typically strive to deliver. I will contact you shortly on the e-mail address you used when making your booking to discuss your experience further and can also be reached at the hotel on the number below.

Yours sincerely

Gregor Forbes
Hadrian’s Manager
0131 556 2414

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I dined here during a weekend away in Edinburgh. We arrived 20 mins early but this was not a problem as we were swiftly escorted to our table.
I had the celeriac soup, which was lovely but a little too bland for me. My partner had French onion soup and enjoyed it. Then I had the venison which was cooked beautifully, it really was very very good. My partner had beetroot ravioli. This too was delicious.
We wanted to try the creme brûlée after reading a review of it on TA but unfortunately we were too full!
The service was extreamly good, all the staff were very attentive.
Looking forward to our next trip to Edinburgh and, of course, eating again at HB.
Thank you to all the staff who made our experience there so enjoyable.