“Its all about quality not quantity!”
Review of Heights Restaurant - CLOSED

Heights Restaurant
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Its all about quality not quantity!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited here 2 nights in a row after staying in the Apex for 2 nights during a trip to Edinburgh for my sons birthday. We arrived late Thursday night and didn't want to venture out so went up to heights on the 5th floor. Im glad we did. The menu is small and thats the only thing I'd recommend is that they expand a bit more. I opted for the feather shoulder of beef and my brother opted for braised shoulder of lamb whilst my wee one chose macaroni and broccoli from the kids menu. Wow! Beautifully presented and very filling despite the small portion. We paid £50 for a main and drink each which was really great value. We enjoyed It so much we returned the next night. Lovely view of the castle and the staff cannot do enough for you. Absolutely great experience.

“Heights Restaurant Edinburgh”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked our table 3 weeks in advance and requested a window table. Even though the restaurant was practically empty on our arrival we still didn't get the window table I'd requested, and there were window tables still lying empty when we left 2 hours later.

Cannot fault the service but the food was terrible. The venison and turkey were both very dry and covered in something very sweet (a bit like chutney) and the terrine starter was like eating cardboard. The best part about it was the dessert but that was too small. A glass of Pinot Grigio was £9!

Overall, very disappointed. I had expected better based on the majority of the reviews and we won't be going back.

2 Thank Suzanne P
London, United Kingdom
“Hogmanay Delight!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A fabulous evening at the Heights Hotel Restaurant for Hogmanay. The food was amazing and the trouble taken by Justyna and her team was wonderful. Fabulous view of the castle and the fireworks.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Undiscovered Edinburgh secret?”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant seems to be almost an undiscovered secret of Edinburgh!

Trying to get a last minute dinner reservation in the city on a Saturday was proving impossible so we said, ok, we'll eat at the hotel *groan!*. It turned out to be an excellent choice!

The view for starters is incredible with the castle lit up at night. Despite the numerous Christmas party bookings the hotel seemed to have, a table for 4 was no problem and there were only 3 or 4 other small groups in, more romantic meals for 2 than raucous parties.

It was a set £40 per head for 3 food courses (a decent number of dishes to choose from) and coffee with mini mince pie. What wasn't mentioned is it also included an 'amuse bouche' and sorbet 'pallet cleanser'! I realised when these arrived that it pretty much was the poshest restaurant I'd ever been to!

The presentation of the food was stunning and tasted amazing - i took photos as i was so amazed. Portions were fairly generous too so we did not feel under fed in the slightest. Being an avid Master Chef fan, I felt like I was in the programme! We decided between ourselves that they must be gunning for a Michelin star it was so good.

We couldn't really believe what a happy accident finding the restaurant was! The service was also impeccable and the bill was was ver reasonable for the experience we had, it was worth the journey up alone!

The 1 disappointment was not of any fault of the restaurant. When we went downstairs to the bar after our wonderful meals, I asked the bar man to suggest an aperitif as the staff upstairs had been so charming and eager to please. he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. I asked him again and he said, 'I don't know, what are you after, sweet? Sour? I don't know' at which point I said if you can't help me I'll not have anything and walked off. He only seemed to be nice to people he was doing table service for as he'd get tips. Shame.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Almost makes you forget the view”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the Apex before but failed to get a table in the restaurant. The view almost forced us to make sure we didn't forget the next time we were in the area. Cue overnight in Edinburgh so off we went. Staff very nice & welcoming. A bit slow with taking orders, not too sure who was the lead waiter/waitress but that didn't matter too much. Good selection of drinks/wines & not too pricey. Menu selection small but good variety. Haggis bon bons tasty & well presented. Beetroot salmon alright but was expecting a bigger taste. Venison cooked to perfection but the beef cheeks stole the show. Wonderful!! Desserts again, tasted as good as they looked. Final bill was even better!! Overall, great food, staff, view etc & would return when next back in city. Warning though, watch where they put you. A bit of a draught near the door.

• Visited November 2012