“mediocre food, terrible service, very poor value for your money”
Review of Positano - CLOSED

Positano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
San Diego
“mediocre food, terrible service, very poor value for your money”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Other than the Caesar salad that I started with, the food was decidedly mediocre. After dinner, one of the waiters -- who was wearing a powder blue nylon jogging suit, while the rest of the staff was nicely dressed in black -- served me a cappuccino that was barely lukewarm. I couldn't get anyone's attention about it until after I had finished my dessert. I explained the situation and asked for a hot cappuccino; they charged me for both, which I discovered when, after 15 more minutes of being ignored, I was able to flag someone down to get my check. When I questioned the charge for the unacceptable cappuccino, the waiter proceeded to lecture me on how he thought I should have handled the situation... I was very, very sorry to have wasted my time and money there.

Chicago, Illinois
“good home-cooked Italian food”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

This place is small, busy, and loud - filled with people having a good time. The food is very good Italian - all home-made and home-cooked. Waiters are brusque but efficient. Prices are very reasonable. A good place to go when you need a change from traditional Scottish fare.

Edinburgh
“Playing Russian Roulette at Il Positano”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We had dinner at Il Positano, it is the first time I have ever encounter a rude Italian waiter and one was very rude, even down to wiping away our plates while we were still eating. That wasn't the worst of it, oh for me the worst thing was that the shellfish was dead before it was cooked, this is very dangerous it could kill you. Do NOT eat shellfish in this restaurant, to do so is to pay Russian Roulette!

Toronto
“Best Italian Food...other than Nona of course.”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I were in Scotland at the beginning of June and after hunting for a good restuarnt we cam upon Positano. My husband is a VERY picky Italian and knows good Italian food when he eats it. Needless to say we went there 3 more times for dinner while we were in Scotland. The food was amazing! The staff were great...especially the owner Giuseppe! We made substitutions from veggies to pasta which wasn't a problem at all. We referred the restaurant to the group we were with (about 20 people) and every one of them was amazed...the words "best Italian restaurant" were thrown around quite a bit. I just wish this restaurant was in Toronto!! If we're ever in Scotland again this will definately be our first stop!

Edinburgh
“Average Eatery”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Visited Il Positano to celebrate my belated birthday back in November but was very dissapointed......

Serving staff are brash, speedy and don't really listen - food was overcooked (homemade would not even give it justication), ambience did not exist.

I ordered the fish which was served with green beans - I asked the waiter if this could be changed for Brocolli and he flatly refused.

A dissapointing meal and the price was dissapointing too for somewhere so average, this place is definatly over-priced and in my opinion over-rated.