“Worst Restaurant Experience We have ever Had”
Review of Passorn

Passorn
Ranked #213 of 2,628 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We asked for mild versions of the first course food we ordered however what was delivered was so spicey hot I couldn't eat it because it was burning my mouth and not form heat. The next course was just as hot although we had specified I needed it to be very mild. We eat in Thai restaurants regularly and have stayed in Thailand for extended periods so it is not as though we are unfamiliar with spicey Thai food. When we called the waiter to say the food was still too hot, the manageress/owner came to our table shouting and verbally abusing us. From all the good reviews I have seen for this restaurant I can only surmise that the normal chef was either on holiday or on a day off. The food was not tasty flavoursome Thai food, it was awful and the treatment we expererinced from the owner was disgusting. Very Poor.

4  Thank aussietraveller03
IanSMacA, Owner at Passorn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2014

We utterly and categorically refute the allegation of 'abuse' in this 'review'. This type of incident has never, ever occurred in Passorn.
On every occasion, we always check to ensure that the customer is enjoying their meal. If we find that a dish is not to their satisfaction, we are only too willing to redo the dish to suit the customer's requirements.
Our paramount aim, as can be seen in the overwhelming number of excellent reviews we have received, is to ensure that every customer completely enjoys their experience at Passorn.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Another excellent meal at Passorn. My boyfriend and I think of Passorn as our 'treat' place and celebrate most special occasions here! Despite our high expectations of every visit, the food and service never disappoint.

We direct any friends visiting Edinburgh to Passorn and the general consensus is that this is the best Thai food you'll find outside of Thailand.

I've never written a review before and thought that I owe it to Cindy and the team for all the good times!

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I've been here before and had issues.
Reserved and it was a Monday!
Tried to fit us into a corner table with so little space that couldn't pull the chair out to sit down! Ok, I'm 6 feet tall!

The food is good but the portions are tiny! And if charging16-17£ for a dish, then it's too much for about 150grams of deep friend battered duck! And 4 prawns battered and deep fried for 6£
Left after a starter and 3 mains btw 2people and a £65 bill still hungry!

Prices need to drop for the place to be good value for money!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We went to Passorn for a family birthday meal after the great reviews on trip advisor.
We were pretty shocked by the attitude of the staff and the terribly slow service.
We waited 20 minutes before a drinks order was taken, 45 minutes before we got our starters then one and half hours in between starters and mains!!
When my husband asked for a mix of prawns and chicken for his main the waiter laughed and said absolutely no he couldn't have this.
Very rude. Especially when the dish presumably would be made from scratch adding in the choice of meat etc.
Overall the food when it did arrive it was very nice. However this didn't make up for the bad experience here.
We were very disappointed by our visit and wouldn't return in the future I'm sorry to say.

7  Thank gem-urban
IanSMacA, Owner at Passorn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience. However, we would take issue with some of the points made.
We have checked our CCTV tapes and discovered that all the timings you have given were exaggerated. Your drinks order was taken within five minutes and initial drinks were served within fifteen minutes of your arrival. The cocktails ordered, by the nature of their having to be prpeared, took another fifteen minutes.
Starters were served thirty minutes after your order and mains dishes served forty minutes after starters were cleared. These intervals are longer than usual and, for that, we apologised and provided an extra complimentary main course.
The waiter did not laugh at you - he smiled as he apologised we could not make the requested dish. As he explained to us - what else was he supposed to do - scowl? Our service staff have a very good reputation and would never be disdainful towards customers.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Having eaten at Passorn several times before and enjoyed excellent Thai food I was looking for more.
After recent back surgery the walk from Waverley station was at my limits but I was spurred on by the thought of the food to come. I arrived just after 12 noon and was relieved to see from the plaque on the wall that the restaurant opened at 12.00. I could see movement inside but the sign on the door said closed. I waited 10 minutes before trying the door which opened. I asked if the restaurant was open and was told to come back at 12:30. I pointed out that the sign said 12:00 and what seemed like a barman said that on Saturday it was 12:30 and the sign hadn't been changed, and somewhat abruptly said that I should come back at 12:30. I politely explained that I had walked from Waverley was in some pain and just needed to sit down. (There are no facilities in the street). I expected that he would allow me to sit down until the restaurant opened, but no, he pointed at the door and said "come back at 12:30". At that point there was absolutely no way I would come back to this restaurant either at 12:30 or ever again. I got a taxi to The Bangkok Bar / Port of Siam and had their excellent lunch menu with good food and equally good service.

4  Thank Bob C
IanSMacA, Owner at Passorn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

We are in agreement that you should have been offered a seat and allowed to wait until we opened. Unfortunately, the cleaner that you spoke to was caught up in his work in readying the restaurant and also did not understand you had a back condition. There are a few coffee shops within yards of the restaurant, but it's understandable that you did not wish to wait there. Our website gives our revised opening hours. Our apologies.