“Hands Down Best Thai Food I Have Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Passorn

Passorn
Ranked #171 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Hands Down Best Thai Food I Have Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I grew up in San Francisco and now live outside New York, so I have eaten at many, many Thai restaurants. This one is hands down the best I have had. The food was very authentic (be forewarned for the faint of heart - it is also very, very spicy). The service was impeccable. I was dining alone and they couldn't have made me feel more welcome, even bringing me a hot towel when the notice the considerable sweat that had broken out on my forehead have way through my soup.

Everything was fresh, bursting with flavor, and very authentic. The space is quite small and always seems to be busy, but well worth it. Easy to walk to from central Edinburgh.

Ripon, United Kingdom
“Cramped Cramped”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very disappointing as we were packed in like sardines. A very uncomfortable and disappointing evening especially as was booked to be a romantic valentine's dinner.
No room to move between tables to get in and out, less than bags room between people on different tables. When a wine cooler was placed next to a table for them it meant the other people couldn't get out. Had to move candle as to not burn yourself when trying to get out. Tables far too small for the amount of dishes and cutlery needed, resulting in the waiting staff knocking things over on our table and other peoples tables. With closeness of other people you couldn't hear each other without shouting so everyone would here. We were pretty much taking it in turns to talk between ourselves and the couple next to us. The food was outstanding but could be abit spicy for some tastes. Some people were offered a choice of spice strength and some were not. The food couldn't make up for the shocking atmosphere and environment meaning we left without having a dessert. Staff were inconsistent as some people were getting roses and some were not, some tables were getting the same food twice (even tho there wasn't many tables to track).

Overall if the owner wasn't so greedy when fitting in so many tables then it would have been a much more enjoyable evening and the rating given would be very different. After our experience we would never go back or recommend it to anyone.

Visited February 2013
12 Thank Andrew T
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

As visitors to Edinburgh, our hotel recommended that we dine here. We were not disappointed. The welcome and service was brilliant. The food was extremely fresh and vibrant. Definitely give this place a try, if you love Thai.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Food Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My partner and I had our Anniversary meal at Passorn, a fabulous Thai Restaurant in Edinburgh. From start to finish, the meal was truly a culinary experience and I cannot praise this restaurant enough. I had the special starter which was prawn and crab rolled into filo pastry. The way in which this was done was a work of art and tasting it was even better. I had the best sea bass I have ever tasted (chilli, ginger and lime) with noodles. We were visiting Edinburgh for the weekend and we both loved the food. If all you do in Edinburgh is visit this restaurant, then it would be well worth the trip.

I also want to say how good the staff were. They were attentive, efficient and very pleasant and having experienced poor service in other restaurants, the staff from Passorn Thai could teach table service as they have it down to a fine art.

Thank you for a wonderful evening and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

1 Thank MsMoneypenny248
Florida
“AUTHENTIC THAI MEAL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

The evening the two of us visited was as expected quiet as it was mid week in early February. The ambiance we thought was modern and comfortable.

My chef’s special Khu Pa Som was very good; the main course Kaeng Phet duck with Kao Pad Kai was not quite so impressive. The duck I thought a little tough however the experience was mainly marred by the spiciness of the curry. I ordered level 3 on a scale of 1 – 5 and found it to be the hottest curry I have ever experienced. The dessert of a 3 fruit sorbet proved to be a good counterpoint to the meal.

My wife’s Satay-Gai was tasty, the main course of Sam Gler consisting of mixed seafood was delicious but for the price she thought there could have been more seafood. The dessert: Black Tower was very good consisting of black sticky rice in warm coconut milk with a few black grapes and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

The food presentation was professional and the staff were attentive and friendly. The dishes were in our view fully priced.