“Lovely restaurant and great value!”
Review of The Grain Store

The Grain Store
Ranked #47 of 2,566 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Fantastic cuisine in Edinburgh's most romantic and atmospheric restaurant, situated in the historic Old Town, enjoy as the relaxed and friendly staff welcome you to this hidden gem.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

A cosy and atmospheric restaurant, absolutely charming. Very friendly and relaxed service too. We thought the food was delicious, and given its quality and creativity, very good value. We have paid much more for meals elsewhere which have not been as good. The highlight dishes in our little group were the lobster ravioli with fantastic flavours, and the hare special that night. Lovely evening, we will be back next time we are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our first visit. Located on the first floor on Victoria Street very near the Grass Market. It was fully booked the first night we tried - so booked for 2 nights later. Super intimate old world atmosphere. Interesting menu and our dishes were delicious and very well prepared. Extensive and good wine list. Friendly staff looked after us very well. We just took our time and had a most enjoyable evening. It was easy to find a taxi when we left. Fairly expensive so suitable for a special occassion

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Both food and wine were fabulous! Very attentive and friendly staff and the low-lighting created a cosy and intimate atmosphere. There was a slight delay with our pudding, but otherwise it was a fantastic experience that I can't fault.

1  Thank MB1177
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I can't praise this highly enough.
It's perfect for the kind of diner that values great food and atmosphere above pretentious, Emperors New Clothes style dining.
The space itself is cute rather than ostentatious; mis-matched tables and chairs, an enormous clock, entirely candlelit, it's not trying to be anything. It's nonchalant in an endearing way.
There's no need for formalities, the staff are friendly and fuss-free, always on-hand but not oppressively over-attentive and thankfully the usual strange blend of subservience and snobbery that runs through fine-dining is nowhere to be seen here.
Don't be fooled into thinking that the informal space and friendly staff mean the food is of a lesser-standard than the Grain Store's more formal peers, the food is well-presented and as full of flavour as the restaurant is full of character.

There are a few reviews on here that say the portions are small and nearly as expensive as a top restaurant...
Firstly, this IS a top restaurant and the meal was a shade under £100 for 3 courses and drinks for 2 people, which I would consider to be very reasonable.
Secondly, good food doesn't come piled 3 feet high on your plate. The portions were very reasonable, and each of the elements on the plate was beautifully presented and cooked perfectly, each course was an absolute pleasure.

What The Grain Store does well is great food in an unpretentious setting, and at a reasonable price. What more could you ask for?

I went as part of a 3 day mini-break, but this was the highlight and I would happily make the 500 mile round trip just to eat there again, in fact I will.

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited the Grain Store on the 26th Jan. Great room, candle lit and good setting. I didn't feel overally hungry so skipped the starter but my partner had the scallops which although were very nice they were also a very small portion. I had the Aberdeen Angus which I must admit I did find disappointing for £28.00.
Maybe the food is trying a little too hard at presentation over actual content, it looks great but for some of the prices charged I feel their should be a little more substance over style.
The staff were great and maybe it just was not to my personal liking. Go by all means as it is an atmospheric room and is by no means average but beware of the portions compared to prices.