“Understated perfect food.”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: Up and coming chef Jason Gallagher has done a fine job in turning the former haunt of local 'celebrity' chef Juliet Lawrence Wilson into a luxurious showcase of his own exciting style of Modern European cuisine. The basement space really is a lovely little restaurant for a romantic meal or special occasion. Black-painted walls decorated with modern art work well with plush golden upholstered chairs, thick white table linen and fairy lights to create an especially intimate atmosphere. Gallagher works with fresh, seasonal ingredients so the menu often changes, but the offerings are guaranteed to be indulgent and of the kind that feel like they're a real treat to be eating. Perfect service too.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We live just a mile or so away. Why don't we come more often? Clearly one of the top 5 restaurants in Edinburgh. Quiet, efficient service and wonderful food. Taste is the focus, seasonal ingredients and a decently priced wine list ( important). Cannot recommend it enough.

1  Thank BrianandKateShort

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I ate here with my sister in a very cold and wet evening. We were instantly charmed by the cosy atmosphere and friendly welcome. From beginning to end, the meal was absolutely delicious. I had the smoked trout, smoked mackerel pâté starter which was simply delicious, as was the langoustine bisque that my sister ordered. I had the halibut & she had the hake, both lovely dishes - the only thing I wasn't keen on was the avocado ice cream with mine. An interesting flavour, but it wasn't for me. For dessert we shared the selection of chocolate desserts (which were sinfully good) and the cheese platter which was generous, interesting, and very good indeed.

The service was perfect, unobtrusive but very attentive. We were made feel relaxed from the moment we stepped through the door. A great spot for a catch-up with a few friends, and it would be lovely for a romantics dinner too.

Highly recommend, and I will be back.

1  Thank EFit
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the Stockbridge on honeymoon. The reviews we read before said amazing food with long delays. We decided to chance it. On the night our starter and wine arrived promptly and we joked that previous guests didnt know what they were saying. Then the restaurant filled. When i say filled - the 12 or so tables were taken. At that point the 3 waitresses on duty appeared unable to cope. We waited longer for our main, then longer for the desert. When we asked for the bill we waited for fifteen minutes, during which time they gave the bill to two other tables. Great food, let down by the service.

2  Thank Ian J
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There can be fewer better dining experiences in Edinburgh than an evening spent at at The Stockbridge. It never fails to impress.

I have been fortunate enough to eat in most of Edinburgh's Michelin starred restaurants and whilst the experiences have always been immensely enjoyable, well apart from that one that (deservedly) lost its star, they don't always fulfil the criteria in the way that The Stockbridge does.

There is a certain traditional elegance about the place; with its crisp white tablecloths, the sparkling glass and that tumbling cascade of candle wax in the fireplace. However, there is nothing traditional about the modern and inventive cuisine which uses the best of seasonal ingredients in a menu that offers a good range of choice. All this is is prepared to the very highest of standards with skill, knowledge and a passion by the Head Chef and co-owner Jason Gallagher. This is clever food.

Perhaps, in order to achieve star status it is necessary to; have a team of sous, commis and pastry chefs, a wine list that has bottle at the same price as a decent second-hand car and a small army of over-attentive waiting staff capable of a small miracle of origami with a napkin. The food at The Stockbridge is, apparently, produced entirely by J.G. and his assistant with the support of a kitchen porter. The front of house staff are both friendly, attentive and knowledgeable, yet allow you to dine at your own pace. The wine list is extensive, offering a wide choice of wines from across the world,
mostly at affordable prices, though there are some very fine wines for those with a slightly fatter wallet.

Whilst the Michelin star might be a an almost automatic recommendation, The Stockbridge shows that such awards are by no means essential for a very fine dining experience. There might be better places to eat in Edinburgh, but I have yet to find one. I'll keep looking though, and if I do I'll let you know.

2  Thank Insidelane
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was my second visit to the Stockbridge Restaurant and I hope I’ll be able to get back there again soon, even though I live several hundred miles away. Previously we’d had a very enjoyable a la carte experience and this time I happened to be in Edinburgh for the Sunday Evening menu, which I could not fault at all. The menu had a good range, the quality of food we chose was extremely high and it was all very good value, particularly as we were able to take along a rather nice bottle of wine under the restaurant’s BYOB policy.