“Disappointing takeaway curry”

New Saffrani
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Street Food
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: An exciting and popular addition to the Edinburgh dining scene, New Saffrani is an unusual take on the traditional Indian restaurant. Situated close to the Festival Theatre and Old College, New Saffrani finds itself with a varied crowd flooding through the doors ��� everybody from tourists to students, young families and couples eager to try out their unique menu which concentrates mainly on fish and seafood, giving each an Indian flavour. There���s an extensive range of choices with meat and vegetarian dishes also given plenty of room, with each item imaginative and experimental, unlike any other in the city. Every care has been taken to match the wide selection of wines to New Saffrani���s food, guaranteeing a full dining experience bar none.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very friendly staff but sorry to say didn't enjoy the curry at all. Passanda very tasteless. Pakora really bad value for money - 4 tiny pieces of chicken for £3.50
Sorry to give a bad review but we were really disappointed.

1  Thank Jusew

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had passed this restaurant earlier in our travels about town and decided to give it a try. The exterior was inviting as one could see inside to get a look at the nicely set tables. The interior was very nice with a vintage feel. It was not busy that night so we were able to get personalized service. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The menu was quite familiar for afficianados of Indian food. We started with a Seek Kabob appetizer which turned out to be a very good choice. Between the three of us, we ordered Vegeterian Biryani, Chicken Jalfrizi and Lamb Dhamsbak. All of them were very good. I would especially recommend the chicken. We finished with some Mango Lassis and spiced chai. As a bonus, the manager was kind enough to offer us some terrific rice pudding for dessert. I would say that the prices were quite reasonable. I would highly recommend this place if you are in the mood for Indian in Edinburgh.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here. Food has been top notch in the past. I could not understand why it wasn't busier.
The last time I went was dissapointing. Food was not upto scratch. Food was semi warm and did not taste the same.
They had used frozen veg in the vegetarian option.
The staff did not like being told the food was not great.
I might go back and give them a second chance.The food use to be really nice. I was nearly giving them a 4 star rating a few months ago.
Please sort yourselves out. You use to serve fantastic grub

Reviewed November 10, 2012

It took them about 3 hours to serve us our meals which were ridiculously overpriced, dangerously undercooked and were poorer in quality than a frozen readymeal from Lidl.
They staff also stole my iTunes vouchers out of my bag!
Avoid at all costs!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The previous owner retired due to ill health . The food and service unfortunately do not come close to his standard