“Very disappointed”

Neighborhood: Old Town
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife is Nepali and I took my daughter, who had been working in Kathmandu, to Namaste for some authentic Nepali food. We got a good welcome and a seat near the window where I got a cold back.

The restaurant was empty and while we were there only one other party arrived. I have to say I'm not surprised as the food was not authentic, the portions were small and the prices very high.We started with a plate of Momos - 6 for £6, and they were dry and bland rather than juicy and tasty. We followed this with two of the restaurant's specialities - a lamb dish and a vegetable dish. Both tasted the same, and the sauce they were in was sweet, and the mint paratha was more like a chapati and you could hardly taste the mint. The staff were very pleasant and if the food had been good I wouldn't have minded. When I paid my bill I told them what was wrong and they didn't apologise, merely saying that the regular chef was off and that this was a tourist area so I should expect tourist prices.

I don't plan to go there again - there are far better Nepalese restaurants in Edinburgh, though they're not cheap either.

If my experience is common I

• Visited December 2012

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great food and enthusiastic staff. Although some of the staff needed to improve their English a little. Nepalese food cooked with great flavour and pride.

Visited October 2011
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“wouldn't return if they paid me to eat there”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We went there for lunch with a Living Social deal and they refused to give us the standard lunch menu, and only provided the a la carte menu. The Living Social deal didn't make this restriction, but the waiter told us the lunch menu was for 'customers!' Pretty funny since there was no one else there! He phoned his boss, who told me Living Social had made a mistake and I should take it up with them; he wouldn't honour the Living Social deal as it was written. We walked out, leaving the place as empty as when we arrived. Clearly they are only interested in the tourist trade and are quite happy to alienate locals and renege on agreements.

• Visited July 2012
Edinburgh
“Namaste - South Nicolson Street, Edinburgh”
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Newly opened and not as great as expected.

Extremely slow table service, poor customer service and mediocre food. Food is also quite over-priced if considering the portion control.

Cannot really comment on ambience as the restaurant was practically empty.

Not a happy expereince and one we should not like to repeat. Our waiter (1 of 3) put our Debit Card through for payment after the meal, and returned the card advsind "thank you very much", we prepared to leave and a second waiter announced accross the restaurant that our card had been declined. In actual fact, the card had not been declined, the streamline machine used to process the card operates on the same line as the telephone and the telephone line was occupied by a member of staff. Having been embarrassingly accused and asked for cash, we shall not be returning to this restaurant - a very poor experience, a sadly lacking meal and not good value for money.

Customer Service is non-existent

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Delicious food! Been twice; the first time was better: bigger helpings, better service, but can't complain about the...”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Delicious food! Been twice; the first time was better: bigger helpings, better service, but can't complain about the second either!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook