“Disastrous start rescued by the Duty Manager”

TGI Friday's - Edinburgh
Ranked #864 of 2,652 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This would have been a poor or terrible review if the situation hadn't been rescued by the Duty Manager, who I think returned from a break to find absolute chaos.

Having a little (not a lot) of time to kill before getting a train home I decided that TGI might be a good bet for getting some food late afternoon as a few of the local pub kitchens seemed to close in the afternoon.

After waiting behind another couple for 5 minutes I was told there was a waiting list and it would be 10/15 minutes before I got seated, making things a little bit tight for time. This was odd as the other couple were seated straight away and the restaurant was less than 1/3 full.

While waiting in the bar area with my buzzer I spotted two unhappy couples who were on the said list wondering why the couple in front of me got a table straight away!

After they were seated I watched as a number of customers, including a group of 5 were seated with no sign of my buzzer buzzing.

The barman kindly made the Duty Manager aware of this and as promised my main course arrived very quickly allowing me to enjoy the food and make my train with time to spare. I'm not sure the other groups fared as well.

Food is as you expect, although I think I'll stick to the Ribs and Shrimps next time which appear to better quality and value than the steaks.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Visited at 3.pm 1st November had to wait told 15 minutes waited 38 mins altogether 60minutes in total before we could order Food ,staff were harassed, order taken food arrived chips stone cold no one came near us again Jake our server disappeared apart from cold chips everything ok but well overpriced my burger contained a tiny piece of lettuce and the end of a tomatoe don't go here for food ,the music is fine but felt the place was understaffed everyone seemed too busy to give the normal TGIFriday service found elsewhere ,complete waste of money and time would have just as well have gone to McDonalds and paying a fraction of the cost !!! ,felt embarrassed by all the empty tables but families with young ones having to wait ages for a table by the time we left there were families and couples waiting everywhere ,the final nail in the coffin for me was when we left and a member of staff crossed the road back to the restaurant with yogurts and sandwiches from a corner shop opposite why o why are people kept waiting when there are loads of empty tables why not employ more staff this was not a one off we had tried to eat here several times and always told 15 - 20 min wait

1  Thank sherbert852
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Brilliant Food, Cocktail and Service. Could not fault anything, even when I was not happy with my cocktail it was remade to suit my taste.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went for sunday lunch/dinner, seated straight away although go early if you want this. Really good food would recommend and tasty cocktail =. Although cocktails are expensive worth it though

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited TGI's for lunch one Saturday afternoon and we really enjoyed our meal. We were seated right away by a friendly hostess (although I think in the evening it can be really busy restaurant and booking is probably advised). Our waitress was also very nice and made suggestions about the menu. We ordered an American lager and a woo woo (delicious!! They do have a very long selection of cocktails which all sounded fab) and a burger and chicken fajitas. The food was fantastic! Amazingly huge portions...I am very greedy and even I couldn't finish all of my fajitas, great value for around £11...the sizzling platter was piled with mixed veg (onions peppers etc) and it came with 4 tortillas and garnishes, fantastic. Sadly we didn't have room for pudding but they looked fab. The restaurant was clean and our food arrived quite quickly. Would really recommend this restaurant.