“First class.”

Ranked #48 of 2,568 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opening Hours:-Lunch Monday - Friday 12pm-2pm, Saturday 12pm - 4pm. Dinner Monday - Saturday 5pm-10.30pm. West Edinburgh wasn't a dining hotspot, but charming, inviting, delicious First Coast is one of the establishments that have been changing that. A comfy toddle from Haymarket station, First Coast is quite an intimate, relaxed shop front restaurant done out the blues and greys of the sea, with rough hewn centre wall and super smart detailing. The frequently-changing modern Scottish menu lists meat and fowl as well as fish. Starters include very tender marinated squid, soy and sesame salad, mains include spicy grilled chicken breast with homemade sweet chilli sauce and coconut rice, and sweets include deep fried jam sandwich with vanilla ice cream- seriously. Short, thoughtful wine list, good vegetarian choices and warm service.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Difficult to add much to previous reports. This is quite a special place. We arrived somewhat piecemeal, an 'eloquence' (the only non-pejorative noun of assembly I could find) of lawyers, so that it was nearly 18:30 before we were ordering drinks. We had booked for the early evening menu - valid till 18:30. There was never any question of bureaucracy insisting that we had missed out on that. As a result we enjoyed 3 x 3 courses and 1 x 2 courses (but including the £2 extra steak) with two bottles of wine, sundry other drinks, and coffee for less than £30 a head.

The staff were excellent, the food likewise. It appears that much of what is offered is made on the premises.

I can't believe that First Coast has been open for almost ten years and that this was my first visit. Certainly one to return to.

1  Thank j0egreen

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

After enduring the horrid wet and cold weather we were extremely happy to be welcomed by a warm, cosy and comfortable restaurant. The staff were extremely friendly and knowledgable about the menu, I hate nothing worse than disinterested staff with no awareness of the food the are serving.

The portion sizes were exactly what we needed after a long day out and about, I ordered the set lunch menu and was not disappointed. Definitely good value for money - it was great to experience a Scottish restaurant at its finest.

2  Thank Fay P
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My partner & I came here for our Valentine's Dinner. It's close to Haymarket - so handy for buses & trains & taxis.....

I started with the pigeon tagine... my partner with ox's cheek. Both dishes were very good... & very meaty. Could maybe have done with a hunk of bread.. or salad?
I had beef goulash & beetroot as my main course. This was delish - v well done. Though again, very light on the veggies. My partner had seabass - quite a dainty portion.
.. so we both had space for pudding: mine was the toffee & banana with oat crumble & icecream (it was a bit breakfasty, actually).... whilst the love-of-my-life had the lemongrass parfait. Which you could taste.

All in all it was good:
+ very speedy service - American speedy!
+ inexpensive
+ unusual/innovative ingredients

- very little veggies
- very low lighting (I had to borrow an extra candle to see what I was actually eating in my tagine)

3  Thank Penny H
Reviewed February 6, 2013

It was pouring with rain and freezing cold outside so we were delighted to arrive to find the fire lit and the place cosy and warm.

It was a catch up lunch for 4 friends and one of us had a baby in toe who was made more than welcome.

The set lunch menu was fabulous. Excellent choice, no skimping on portion size and fantastic value. We'll definately be back.

1  Thank Scotia2301
Reviewed February 4, 2013

the service is excellent and the food delicious, we eat here regularly and have never had a poor experience, the menu changes frequently but old favourites can usually be found. Prices are great value and you can sign up for email alerts for special evenings. well worth a visit.

1  Thank caroline a