“Gone downhill since the son has taken over from his excellent parents”
Review of Ann Purna - CLOSED

Ann Purna
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
London
“Gone downhill since the son has taken over from his excellent parents”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have been coming to Ann Purna for years, every time we come to the Festival. We considered this the best Indian restaurant, particularly for vegetarians, better than Kalpna over the road. The mother used to do most of the cooking, which was delicious, and the father managed the front of house -- a lovely friendly man. Sadly he had a heart problem and had to retire, and their son has taken over. He is not up to the job - doesn't seem interested in the customers, is a bit obsequious, and the cooking has gone downhill. He is more interested in packing customers in - the tables are much too close together.

When we were there some of the customers were complaining about the slow delivery, but we seem to have been very lucky, because we explained we had a short time before our next play, and they served us very quickly. Some of the main courses are still very good, but most are average. And I was really surprised that they don't take credit cards any longer - crazy, surely?

1 Thank Primroselil

Edinburgh
“Avoid avoid avoid...”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Used to be a regular at Ann Purna so was confident of enjoying a good dinner. It was a fiasco. It took nearly an hour to receive our meal, we had to ask repeatedly for cutlery which finally arrived for our main course. We were so hungry we had to eat our measly sized starter with our fingers.
While we were there one customer walked out after complaining, the table next to us were complaining to staff and also table behind us threatened to leave as they had had to wait an unreasonably long time.
The thalis were not available. The food was fine. Except very small portions. The starter was minuscule 5 pieces of deep fried vegetables. I have had larger Olives. The salad garnish was the largest item on the plate. Some of our side dishes did not arrive. Left hungry. We were not offered dessert of coffees etc. however we were glad to leave.
Of course the bill included dishes we did not receive. And in common with other customers experiences it was suddenly cash only.

1 Thank stephen123Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Deceived..!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

'Ann Purna' has been one of my favorite veggie restaurants for over twenty years. It was a great cafe style place to chat in the 90s and a tasty-filling posh Indian restaurant for pre-theater in the noughties. The food and atmosphere were always great and I bored people to death about how good it was. However, today I was let down by almost every aspect of my visit. The 'new' look was fresh, clean and modern but there were no restaurant style menus, only leaflets for takeaway. This would be no problem but when we questioned why we did not receive the 'dessert' third course we were told they were 'old' menus and the lunch special was now only two courses (and the previous choice of white or brown rice was now just white). The food tasted excellent, but the pakora starter was three slivers of fried vegetable and three shards of salad veg (tasty but miniscule). The lentil daal main course was tasty and of adequate size, but cold. The white rice was also cold (but not unpleasant). The green tea (two pounds £2.00/cup) was absolutely tiny and did not encourage me to buy a second cup (as I imagine was their intent). If I had not been talking pleasantly for forty minutes, the hour-long wait for the courses would have been much more noticeable (there was only one other customer during the time of our visit).The server was polite but did not respond to our concerns. When I went to pay with a debit card he was very clear that this was a cash-only establishment, and when I pointed at the extensive range of cards depicted in the window stickers, he replied that this was from the old place and the new manager wanted cash. He ignored my offer to peel the stickers from his window. I want this to be so much better when I return, but - unfortunately - I may never do this.

Armadale, United Kingdom
“Was OK”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We visited here for dinner one night during the festival. The place was quite busy, we were seated quickly and found the staff to be quite attentive. The interior of the restaurant was quite nice however after a trip to the bathroom I was less than impressed, they were filthy.

We ordered and when the food came it was quite tasty however the portions were quite small so given the price we didn't feel it was great value. They didn't do naan bread because the oven was broken but we didn't see it on the menu either.

When the bill came I tried to pay by card and this is when I was advised the card machine was broken so I had to go out and find a cash machine to pay for dinner. We were then offered a complimentary drink as we were leaving, nice touch but I think it'd have been nicer to have taken a couple of drinks off the bill.

All in all I would not return or recommend.

1 Thank C10mmy
“An unashamed rip off joint.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The WORST so called Indian food I've ever had. Sev puri was three tiny mouthfuls of dry, tasteless , rubbish with none of the sauces that come with it usually ..... so called behl puri was a bowl of dry puffed wheat with a tablespoon of potato in it. Dreadful . All the mains we ordered were an identical flouresent orange colour tasted exactly the same and were cold. Food took 55 mins to arrive, they got the bill wrong ( to their advantage not ours) , they don't take cards despite the sign in the window that says they do and the toilets were filthy.

Overheard a waitress say they
" had reopened for the festival" ie there's a huge amount of passing trade we can fleece, it doesn't matter how bad the food is or how totally inept we are because we don't need them to come back.... we can be as crap as we like and just hit them up for cash.

If you want to feel robbed then this is the place for you.