“we'll be back”
Review of a room in the town - CLOSED

a room in the town
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Found this restaurant by accident one day visiting Edinburgh. Couldn't get a table as they were fully booked. We decided the next time we were in Edinburgh we would book as the menu looked really good. It lived up to our expectations. Was a bit noisy as there were a few bigger parties there, but the food was excellent. Everything we had was perfectly cooked and tasted great. Our one disappointment was the price of the drinks. the bottled beer was almost £5 and you can get it in Tesco for £1.65. I think that's a bit much, next time we'll just drink the tap water put on our table, but will be looking forward to the meal. We will definitely go again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant on the evening of 13/4/13. When you first go through the doors it looks quite small and rub down, however it was full to the brim of diners and had a good atmosphere with everyone laughing and chatting and just having a nice evening out.

I highly recommend making a reservation as it seemed busy all night. We were shown to our table which was nice in the window, given menus and offered drinks. Tap water was already provided on the table. We ordered drinks and they were bought to us quickly. About 5 minutes later a girl came to take our order. I felt that whilst doing this we were being rushed and she was about to run away at any time, we barely managed to order a bottle of wine ( this was the only down side though). After ordering bread and butter was bought to our table ( complimentary).

We both ordered the haggis, neeps and tatties to start. It arrived about 10 mins later. It was to die for, soooo tasty and presentation was immaculate. For main course my boyfriend had chicken with oat and haggis dumplings which he really enjoyed. I had the portobello mushroom which was really enjoyable, so many flavours going on. The mains arrived almost immediately after the starters, I personally like a little pause after my starter. We really wanted to try desserts but were sooo full up. The bannoffee pie looked amazing. To finish I had a baileys coffee that was served with a piece of scottish tablet, and my boyfriend had a glass of port, I perfect end to a lovely meal.

As we are not from Edinburgh we asked on of the waitresses where to go for drinks and she was more than happy to help and booked a taxi for us.

We will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner went for a celebratory lunch. We got the really great value lunch deal £16.95 for 3 courses. Big portions, really tasty! The service was great and we also brought our own bottle or prosseco for a £6 corkage.

I can highly recommend this place. Perfect lunch!!!

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Service really let it down. For our visit here we were first in the door. It was cold and first impression was not great. Took over 35 mins to get main meal which with kids was not good. No reason why and little additional service or attention throughout the meal. Food was ok one meal was colder than should be. Did not stay for dessert. Disappointed as expected better given reviews.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

3 course lunch deal for 4 delivering usual high quality Scottish ingredients...included haggis starter, salmon with Stornoway black pudding and delicious banoffie pie. All for approx £17 a head and with options for 1 or 2 course lunch deal at lower cost great value. BYO wine corkage charge at £5 reasonable. Very friendly and informal service and place just has a lovely relaxed feel to it.

1  Thank Redrab1980