Open today: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
A thoughtful and thorough customized tour by an amazing guide

Gareth was an absolutely amazing guide. He was so personable and knowledgeable. His stories and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
V7006LZtylerw
Recommended Historical Tour

I arranged a Royal Mile tour with Gareth for my family who were visiting from overseas. The tour... read more

Reviewed October 24, 2022
TravellingInStyle65
London, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from $70.66
from $207.01
from $25.62
from $74.13
More Info
All reviews hour tour private walking tour old town great tour royal mile his knowledge perfect introduction hour walk informative tour city's history funny stories nooks and crannies highlight of our trip gareth information interests pace
Selected filters
Reviewed May 23, 2021

Gareth kept us entertained and extremely well informed about all of the sites we visited on our tour. His knowledge of the history and culture of Edinburgh is extensive, and we particularly recommend his tour as an introduction to the city on your first day.

Date of experience: May 2021
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank ba547
Reviewed November 28, 2020

Although we live locally we learned so much from this tour. Gareth was very knowledgeable. He can tailor the tour to your specific interests.

Date of experience: November 2020
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed November 8, 2020 via mobile

I found Gareth through a dog friendly website as he usually brings his dog Monty. I was sad to hear his dog was recovering from an operation but I wanted to go with Gareth as his style of touring was perfect for me and I knew he liked dogs as I was traveling with my Morty.

I decided to do a custom tour as I am very interested in the gruesome history of Edinburgh. We did a two hour tour in pouring rain but Gareth made me forget all about it (my dog Morty was a bit sad and wet though ). Gareth was an excellent tour guide - knowledgeable, funny, easy going and overall great.

Edinburgh is very hilly, but he took routes so by the time we were up at the castle I barely knew I had walked up so far. I absolutely loved it and would recommend to anyone. Extremely good value for money as was a private tour and I’d even consider doing other tours with him. I learned a lot too.

1  Thank soniawashere
Reviewed October 9, 2020

I love being a tourist in my own city, and having never been on a walking tour thought I'd give it a try. I was a bit dubious that it would be worthwhile as I know Edinburgh quite well, but turns out I had nothing to worry about. I learned lots of new things on my tour, and even a couple of new to me locations.

Gareth suggested a central meeting point for my tour, and he was easily identifiable by his tour lanyard/pass. I love taking pictures around Edinburgh, and so had opted for a customised tour to learn a bit more about architecture of the city. The tour led us through parts of the new town and old town, but also added some relevant history and social commentary.

Gareth's tour was not one that come across as an over-researched script, but rather as a well-considered route that was well-researched. Gareth encouraged conversation and so the tour was more like taking a walk with an extremely knowledgeable friend. Gareth was able to answer any questions that I threw his way. It's clear he really knows his stuff, and is passionate about the city.

Parting with money for a walking tour is a bit daunting, but you are safe in Gareth's hands. I can highly reccommend a tour with Gareth whether you are a local looking to learn more about your surroundings, or a visitor looking to find hidden gems off the usual tourist trail.

Reviewed October 3, 2020 via mobile

We booked this tour last minute and I was so thrilled when Gareth was able to accommodate us. His communication about the arrangements was excellent.
We loved the 3 hours (Old and New City tour) and learned so much in a short space of time. It gave us a real grounding for further exploration of this lovely city. Gareth was super friendly and very informative. I would highly recommend.

1  Thank goldcherub