“A Little Gem”

Sweet Melinda's
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bruntsfield
Description: A cosy, relaxed bistro in the bustling centre of Marchmont, Sweet Melindas provides food delivered fresh every morning to both returning regulars and new visitors alike. The small front room is bright and airy during the day,with the kitchen open for lunch from midday until 2pm, providing great value for money. Dinner service begins at 6pm with a fantastic atmosphere created by candlelight and a playlist of easy listening and acoustic tracks. The menu contains a good mix of meat, seafood and vegetarian dishes, with daily specials on the blackboards. Wine-wise, the selection has been chosen to match the menu and is contained within an excellent price range of £15.50 - £32.50 Per bottle. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Booked this for my Partners birthday. The only criteria I had was that it needed to sell seafood.
I called and reserved a table, the gentleman advised I could have the table at the window, however when we placed at the back of the resturant as the window seat took 3 people (not 2).

This however was the only bad thing.

The food was lovely, very subtle favours that all came together a set of lovely dishes.

We had some Romanian wine which was also very nice.

I'd highly recommend.

It's the sort of place you want to go for a nice long meal and a chat in between courses, the service is not fast, however it's not lacking either. Just the right pace for a chat and to enjoy your evening.

There are newer reviews for Sweet Melinda's

Reviewed July 6, 2013

A great little restaurant located in Marchmont that has a really relaxed/friendly atmosphere. I've been twice and both times the food has been first rate. During my most recent visit I had the venison medallions that were cooked to perfection and tasted fantastic. All the other meals my family had were of similar quality (the venison and the cod). For desert we shared a cheese board which had a lovely selection of cheeses albeit slightly on the expensive side and the proportions of the different cheeses seemed rather random.

The main negative I can think of is the price of the wine. Although they have an excellent selection of wines, comparatively speaking you do get the impression that you're paying more than you would usually. Having said that, they did have a small number of 'bin ends' meant that we could enjoy a bottle of fantastic wine.

The only reason I haven't given this restaurant 5 stars is that the waiter misheard the order and thus one of the dishes was completely wrong. After some discussion this was rectified and compensation was offered in the form of another bottle of wine (which was extremely good quality).

Reviewed June 28, 2013

In a suburban main street, Sweet Melinda's is one of the growing number of restaurants that succeed away from the city centre. As well as its a la carte lunch menu, it offers an excellent Taster menu of two courses, from an interesting short list, for £7.50. Seafood is a speciality but carnivores and vegetarians are also well catered for.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We came across this restaurant by chance during an early evening summer's stroll. The food was imaginative and superb. Each course was exquisite. The atmosphere is elegant and romantic. The music is gentle and allows for easy conversation. The service was more than first rate. We enjoyed it so much, we went three times in one week!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Found this lovely little restaurant whilst visiting relatives and think it is fair to say we were all impressed. The restaurant seems to specialise in game and fish and the menu reflected this with well presented dishes and a good selection of sweets... well done all involved in making our evening a great success
It seems to have recently been redecorated, and the attentive waiter suggested it was under new management all in all it was a very pleasant experience,