“yum yum the cheesecake!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Smoke Stack

Smoke Stack
Ranked #236 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Established in 1996, Smoke Stack has been serving the discerning meat eaters of Edinburgh the finest Scotch Beef fo nearly 20 years. We also have a range of burgers, salads and sandwiches, healthy kids menu, an Express Menu for lunch or pre-theatre dining and a brunch menu at the weekends with waffles, traditional breakfasts, fresh smoothies etc. Why go anywhere else?
London, United Kingdom
“yum yum the cheesecake!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I went there with a friend, looking for a close by place where to have something to eat before heading back to the hotel as the weather was truly awefull!

the place is nice and tidy, it was not busy at that time. we could chose our table without problem and we were assisted by a lovely waitress pretty quickly. both of us had the soup of the day as starter, served with bread and butter.

I chose a starter as main as I was not very hungry, but my chorizo mussel were the size of a main! I can't complain at all, it was a very nice surprise and felt totally full.

my friend had the blackened salmon and seemed very happy about it.

we had some dessert too and i fell in love with mine: the bailys cheesecake. sooo yummy!

the place is nice, the prices very decent for the area and the size of the portions, so I totally recommend it if you are in the nearby!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank reyiell

• Chinese (Traditional) first
malta
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Sometimes you need a good steak and this restaurant duly delivers that. The service is excellent and we had good time although the time was not so busy. Consider the icy weather this restaurant is very cosy and the price are reasonable.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank gafa
“Rude staff, good meal.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We went for brunch was was annoyed greatly by the menu having a message that said 'no extras, changes, omissions on the brunch menu it annoys the chefs'. The brunch menu was good but not being able change a thing pushed me to the lunch menu. Got a chicken burger it was great. However the service was awful. The waiters were pretty rude. Wouldn't go back purely because of that.

2 Thank sairrjane
bigforbesy, Owner at Smoke Stack, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Sorry for the delay in responding, i was on holiday when this was posted and it slipped through the net. I am glad you enjoyed your food and sorry if you felt the service was rude. You didn't give any specifics on how you felt the staff were rude so I can't really address this issue.

Our menu doesn't say "no extras etc because it annoys the chefs" it says "we love to give you choice - weird burger toppings and strange sauce combos are no problem. brunch is the exception - we have a no extras,subs or omissions policy on brunch items,it hurts the chefs’ heads and leads to mistakes - just swap things around with your friends! "
It is not an uncommon policy - trying to assemble 10 cooked breakfasts each with a slightly different configuration is the quickest way to a nervous breakdown. As we say on the menu, if you don't like something don't eat it - someone else on your table undoubtedly will !!
Ballater
“Early show.”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We reviewed several restaurants in the area of the theatre for our pre show meal and chose the Smoke Stack. Our pre booked table was in the bottle neck which was beside the till where we posted our slimmer than us daughter otherwise it would have been elbows and handbags in the side of the head from the passing traffic. A wee cushion on the seat would have been nice. Waitress with the dark hair was very nice, helpful and warned us well regarding the spicy red onion topping. The starters of goats cheese and the pate were nice. I had the sirloin steak special and my wife and girls had the 5oz burgers which were not as big as we thought and although quite tasty they were over cooked and dry and the bun over toasted. As mentioned by another reviewer paying extra for standard toppings is a bit cheeky on an 8 quid burger. My steak was nothing to get excited about. Would I go back? Possibly not.

• Visited December 2013
bigforbesy, Owner at Smoke Stack, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thanks for your comments, we have taken your comments on board and are looking at ways to modify our layout to make that table work better - at the moment it is slightly dependent on whether the table opposite sit up like a minister's wife or leans back like a rapper in a nightclub. If only everyone had perfect table manners! We are also looking at getting some seatpads made for the metal chairs. I can only apologise if the burgers weren't to our usual standard, we normally get very positive feedback on our burgers - if oyu had complained I am sure my staff would have remidied the issue. Hope you are able to give us another chance
“Lacked Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Food was above board and simply delicious, my steak was top notch. Had 3 different waitresses, one of whom had the inability to smile or have any form of social comeradery. As above, it lacked atmosphere. Would I go again? Possibly, yes.

bigforbesy, Owner at Smoke Stack, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thanks for your comments and it's great to hear you rerally enjoyed your food. I am very disappointed to hear the service you recived was substandard, it can ruin any amount of good food. We would love to be able to allocate one server to each table but we can have as few as 2 and as many as 7 servers on at one time and it does require everyone to muck in and help, especially when its busy. As your review was from the end of December I can only imagine the waitress who was lacking in camaraderie had lost her good nature sometime during the festive period. it's not acceptable but unfortunately we all have the odd off day at that time of year. Sorry again.