“Very Good”

Ranked #212 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Established in 1996, Smoke Stack has been serving the discerning meat eaters of Edinburgh the finest Scotch Beef fo nearly 20 years. We also have a range of burgers, salads and sandwiches, healthy kids menu, an Express Menu for lunch or pre-theatre dining and a brunch menu at the weekends with waffles, traditional breakfasts, fresh smoothies etc. Why go anywhere else?
UK
“Very Good”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Booked after reading Tripadvisor reviews and not disappointed. Really good food and excellent service.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
“NOT TO BE MISSED”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Went along and had waffles for brunch and boy they were fantastic. I had waffles with bacon and eggs and my wife had waffles with bacon and syrup and to say they tasted fantastic would be an injustice. We also had a smoothy, the Reggae Reggae one and for the time I took to drink it I was transported back to Jamaica it was that good. Looking at other tables the food they dish up is mothwateringly good too, everyone finished every mouthful which is a very good example of just how delicious the food is.

I know this is my opinion but once you have tried this place you will go back it is that good.

“GREAT steaks!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Went here for dinner in Friday. Place was packed with xmas parties but our service wasnt effected at all. Ordered two fantastic steaks, chips & onion rings with a bottle of wine. Brilliant from start to finish, highly recommend!

edinburgh
“Fab”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Booked the table for 12 of us on a Friday night after the theatre. When we arrived the restaurant was very busy and our table wasn't ready. The staff offered us drinks and were very friendly. Food was lovely. We had lots of different things and everyone was impressed with their food. Our food was fresh, well seasoned and very very tasty - worth waiting. My mussels in creamy leek and bacon sauce were to die for and Sirloin was perfectly medium rare cooked with great peppered sauce. We finished with 3 desserts to share and some great cocktails. Overall superb thanks. We definitely will be back again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I ate here on 8th December 2012 along with two friends. First off, I booked online and requested a couple of fried eggs. I received a reply saying that it may not be possible to do the eggs as the restaurant was would be busy. Can’t fry a couple of eggs? C’mon! I used to work in a kitchen and it isn’t hard to fry a couple of eggs. Anyone knows that.

Anyway, we went along to the restaurant anyway, and sure enough when I asked for a couple of fried eggs, I was told that wouldn’t be possible. I went for the ribeye steak and because it was ‘too difficult’ to fry a couple of eggs, I had a baked potato. When the food came that’s literally what I got: a piece of steak and a baked potato. No side salad, no veggies. Oh, I almost forgot, there was a single small leaf as what could loosely be called a garnish. Whilst the food was ‘ok’, I felt I had been ripped off as I paid nearly £20 for a smallish piece of steak and a potato. I mean, you’d expect a bit of salad and/or some veggies.

In summary: inflexible, overpriced, mediocre food and inattentive service. Poor. Needless to say, I won’t be back in a hurry.

3 Thank thebiggfella
bigforbesy, Owner at Smoke Stack, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Glynn - Sorry you felt the need to give us a poor review, although I do feel you paint a rather one-sided picture. You asked for 2 fried eggs and grilled tomatoes, I responded to your request saying that it would normally be no problem to go "off-menu" but that you were booked at the busiest time (8.30pm) on what turned out to be the busiest night of the year so far, the first Saturday night when we were running our xmas menu.
Frying eggs is easy when you are doing Brunch service, which we do every weekend, but when the chefs are juggling pans with four different sauces, 2 different kinds of fajitas and a huge pot of mussels finding the space for a frying pan is an issue. I was not prepared to insist that my staff satisfy your request, potentially slowing service for other customers, which is why I said it may not be possible.
Our Rib-eye steaks are 10 oz, or 250 g in new money which I am surprised to hear described as small - the equivalent would be £22.50 at Steak or Kyloe before getting chips or potatoes. Buffalo grill is a bit cheaper but they don't sell 100% Scotch Beef so it is not really comparable.
Our menu clearly states you what you get with each dish, veggies or salads are available as a side order. If we had said we would meet your request and then changed our mind, or if you had turned up on a quiet monday night and had such a request refused I would accept your criticism. In the circumstances I feel we communicated the position in advance so to call us inflexible is very unfair