“Sublime”

Ranked #138 of 2,507 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Martin Wishart, an Edinburgh-born chef, has firmly established himself as one of the UK’s most highly respected chefs. It is the importance of fresh ingredients, discipline in the kitchen, a passion for food and a deep understanding of classic French cooking techniques that have continued to be the backbone of his style. He fell in love with the industry and now has more than thirty years’ experience in the business. He is now an established and multi-awarded chef and restaurateur, awarded a Michelin star for 23 consecutive years in Edinburgh. He is one of Scotland's most appreciated and respected chef. Awarded by the Harden's guide Top 100 Restaurants at number 7 in UK in 2023.
Reviewed July 10, 2016

We were taken here on business which was booked for 10. Arrived on a Thursday night and straggly our party were spilt into two separate tables - not ideal, especially for a restaurant of this standard and service. The restaurant is understated and elegant in it's decor. The service is superb with great detail given by all in terms of describing the food and the accompanying wines. Not sure if our hosts had picked a fish tasting menu or it was set this way for a Thursday evening, and perhaps slightly risky depending on your clients. However, personally I thought every course and palate cleanser was sublime. The staff are highly trained, pleasantly interactive and highly knowledgeable. Would definitely return to try the a la carte menu or lunch. Difficult to comment on value as we didn't pay or see the bill !!

Reviewed July 8, 2016

We chose both 8 course tasting menus with wine pairings.
Imaginative,creative dishes supplemented with fine wine choices,which we duly polished off.
Impeccable,professional yet friendly service.Comfy,well fitted.
Highlight was the birthday card on the table for K,followed by a signed menu from MW,posted to our home a day later.Made a girl very happy!

Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile

The best restaurant in Edinburgh by far, the quality and service is fantastic every time. Recommend the tasting menu for first time visitors as it let's you see how great the chef is. Highly recommended 😄

Reviewed July 1, 2016

First the good points - my husband and I visited this restaurant for our first year anniversary and the staff could not be more accommodating. I have a mollusc and nut allergies and the staff took the time to go through the tasting menu with me and provide me with the options for swapping some dishes and substituting ingredients. The food was excellent and there was a great choice of wines from different regions and at different price points. We had a £35 Cote du Rhone which was excellent!
The downside for me personally was the decor. I have been lucky enough to visit a few Michelin starred restaurants and believe that the whole experience makes the dining so special. I am not fussy and enjoy dining at a huge range of restaurants, but I suppose my expectations were extremely high for visiting here. The lighting was very bright and the decoritself was pretty dated, just by dimming the lights and making the room more atmospheric I am sure this would have been a 5 star review from me.

Reviewed June 30, 2016

Just as one would expect from a Michelin starred restaurant - we were not disappointed.
We had the set lunch menu which, although not extensive, had very different, imaginative dishes. Food was delicious and service was relaxed and unobtrusively attentive.
As someone has commented previously, tables are relatively close together, however we were fortunate to have a large table by the window.