“Worth the short journey out of the City to visit!”
Review of Pataka

Pataka
Ranked #11 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Worth the short journey out of the City to visit!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Recently when visiting Edinburgh for our yearly Christmas shopping trip we decided to come and give Pataka's a try after walking past the night before and wanting to try it the following evening. I called early evening to make reservation for later that evening as I am aware restaurants are busy this time of the year due to Christmas.
During our experience at Pataka's we found the service to be absolutely faultless! The waiters were so attentive, making sure that we were cared for an received top class service. The restaurant was spotless and clean showing the pride that the staff take in the business. Me and my dad decided to have starters, he had chicken tikka and I had the Alo Gobi cauliflower balls for main course me and my mum had Chicken Tikka Massalam and my dad had Jaipuri Chicken we then shared a garlic and peshwari naan and two rice. I can honestly say the food was delicious, by far the best naan breads I have ever tasted and I am a big fan of Indian food! They were so fresh and light. After finishing our meal, the waiter came over to our table and cleared everything out the way so we could sit and talk he enageged in conversation with us and he found him to be very friendly and welcoming along with all the other staff working that evening. We were then offered a free Liqueur on the house as we were visiting Edinburgh. These gestures are what make visits to restaurants such as Pataka so special and sets them ahead of restaurants in the City. The biggest surprise of the night had to be the bill, considering we had a bottle of red wine, a beer, a diet coke, 2 starters, 3 curries , 2 naan breads, 2 rice the bill came to just under £65... amazing value for such quality service and food! If you are visiting Edinburgh I would seriously recommend visiting this wonderful place, it is a nice walk out of the City centre to it or if you prefer it's only a couple of pounds in a taxi but trust me, take a trip out of the City it's streets ahead of Indian restaurants you would find in the City and the only reason it isn't ranked higher on tripadvisor is due to it not being located in the City Centre. A fantastic night, thank you to all staff in Pataka you will be highly recommend to anyone I know and a visit next year will definitely be on the cards.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Hann18

“Nice food, good price”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I always go to the Indian when I visit England or Scotland. Off course i have eaten Indian in better places as this one but Pataka serves great food too. I took one of the spicy dishes but it could have been more spicy for me. The samosa starters where delicious. I could recommend everyone who loves Indian food to eat here. And if you want it really spicy, ask the friendly waitors

• Visited October 2013
London
“My kind of food”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I had a lovely meal here on a visit to Edinburgh. The menu is typical but I found my dishes better than average. Everything tasted very fresh and there were none of those pools of oil you often find in less good Indian restaurants. One complaint: I would like drink and popadom orders to be taken immediately so you eat and drink while looking at the menu, but the waiter waited a while before taking orders for everything together.

Visited October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Bland??? Not ours!!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have been visiting this restaurant for near on 20 years and never been disappointed. We have eaten in and had takeaways on more times than I can remember. It is not close to us and have to travel but always worthwhile.

Last night we had Mangsho Roti and Sabzi Chilli Dall and it was anything but bland! Full of flavour and plentiful - delicious!! The prices are reasonable - so you never feel like you are being overcharged.

The staff are always friendly and attentive - we have known them for as long as we have been visiting this restaurant. It is very clean and the atmosphere is relaxing.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for well cooked, well seasoned food. Looking forward to our next visit already.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Katco
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Bland, bland and bland!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We ate here because of the reviews on tripadvisor, How wrong could we have been! Being British and Asian I love all things British and all things Asain but this food was BLAND! Myself and a friend ordered the vegetarian set menu, as this option is vague according to the menu we asked the waiter what the deal was, he really didn't explain it much but we gathered that we got a selection of starters, mains and desserts.
The mains and starters were BLAND, I don't add salt to my food usually but I had to on both of the courses but that didn't help, there was no chillies or any other spice other than turmeric! BLAND I tells you!
Oh my lord, we had to ask for the dessert as they forgot about us once the restaurant started to get busy, we shouldn't have bothered! We didn't get a choice of desserts, we got one and it was bloody awful! It was an almond Kulfi (ice cream) and it tasted like sand. We paid the waiter and told him it was bland and awful and all he could say was thanks for letting him know....I will never return here again, even if the meal was free!!

3 Thank Porthos1
Pataka190, Manager at Pataka, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We are very sorry you found your meal very bland.
If when you had been asked "How is your meal?" If you had let us know then we would have only been to happy to change or spice up your meal so that it would have meet your satisfaction. After you have finished your meal and tell us all we can do is take the comments aboard and try and improve.
Sorry that you were disappointed.