“Expensive menu and rich food”

Number One at The Balmoral
Ranked #4 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Memorable flavours and world-class cuisine. A truly outstanding culinary experience, worthy of its Michelin star for the 13th consecutive year. As one of the finest Edinburgh restaurants, 'Number One' presents an innovative blend of Scottish and French flavours. Saute Foie Gras with duck confit. Borders lamb, broad beans and grelot. Rhubarb and white chocolate panna cotta. Take a seat on the golden banquettes and sample some of Scotland's most creative dishes from our tasting menus. Equally striking are the original artworks from The Royal College of Art that hang on the red lacquered walls.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were staying at the Balmoral hotel, so it was a natural decision to dine here one evening. If you decide to do this, know this is a fixed price menu and if you have food issues, they will accommodate you. We don't eat pork or alcohol, and they were kind enough to change out what they could. Service takes a very long time. Make sure you have a couple of hours to eat 3 courses. The service is excellent and staff friendly. The food is incredibly rich. So rich that my husband ended up vomiting in the night. I'd advise an early dinner and allow time to walk it off. If you're used to American fare, be aware that the meats will be undercooked by our standards, so advise the chef to avoid disappointment. I ordered the duck and found it so chewy as to be almost inedible. To be honest, we enjoyed the experience, but would probably not ever eat there again. There are so many other options in the city which are cheaper and easier on the wallet.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were visiting Edinburgh and made a reservation several weeks in advance to dine at Number One on our last night, as we were staying at the Balmoral Hotel. We arrived and were seated on time and it was all downhill from there. We were given a wine list and menus. After dining at top restaurants, including Per Se and Alinea, we have come to expect a pattern of service and quality. Before we even had a chance to order wine or a cocktail, we were ordering dinner, including dessert. Service was ok until the main course was finished. From that point on we waited for 35 minutes without an offer of after dinner drinks or coffee. When we finally got the attention of a manager, many excuses were made for the inattentive staff and the delays. When dessert finally arrived, the staff had completely ignored my request to recognize one of our guests with something to commemorate his 70th birthday. One final note...one of our group was stricken with food poisoning fifteen hours later on the plane back to the US. We all agreed it could have been the mackerel appetizer that tasted odd to all of us. Michelin Star quality???? Not in my book!

17  Thank Mary W
balmoraledinburgh, Director of Food and Beverage at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest

I am very disappointed to read your review following your recent visit to number one and am sorry that you left with such a poor impression. Whilst we do suggest diners allow a minimum of two hours for dinner, I regret that the desserts took longer than they should and am very sorry for any inconvenience. We had planned to serve Birthday petit fours following your dessert, but as I understand you were in a hurry to depart, these were given to the gentleman upon leaving the restaurant and again, I am sorry that this detracted from the intended gesture.

I was very concerned to read that a member of your group fell ill during your flight home. The mackerel appetizer was served to all our guests on the evening of your visit and we have not received any similar reports. However, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this along with your other comments, in greater detail and would be grateful if you could contact me on the number below at your convenience.

Alexander Feij
Director of Food and Beverage
0131 556 2414

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked for a birthday, service was excellent, they were able to change one if the tasting menu courses for me at no extra cost and its one of the best dinners that I have had. Thank you so much for a lovely night!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant in set in the basement of the Balmoral Hotel. There are no windows and it feels quite dark. I could only get a booking for 9.30 but what I wasn't told when reserving is that the last order for the tasting menu is 9pm. What I like about tasting menus is that they match the wines. We went with 3 courses (definitely enough to fill you up) but I think it would be good if they offer to wine match these options too for a fixed price. The food was well presented and good, just was just missing something. The service was friendly but missed the personal touch. With so many great restaurant choices in Edinburgh this has got good food but for a Michelin star place I had higher expectations

2  Thank lfer6f
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Number One. I am sorry to learn that you left feeling somewhat underwhelmed with your experience. As our tasting menu typically takes around 3 hours to experience, we do restrict last reservations to 9 pm and I am very sorry if this was not made clear at the point of booking and for your resulting disappointment.
We generally find that most of our guests prefer the flexibility of choosing their own wines, but we do of course always have our sommelier available to offer guidance in matching wines with the chosen dishes.
I would be pleased to discuss your impressions regarding the food and service with your further and would be grateful if you would contact me on the number below at your convenience.

Gary Quinn
Restaurant Manager
0131 556 2414

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Following recommendations from Tripadvisor contributors we booked the Number One for our last evening meal of our Edinburgh weekend. Nothing like saving the best to last!

We were slightly concerned that the restaurant would be old worldy and stuffy, being part of the very traditional Balmoral Hotel but we were very pleasantly surprised, The fact that the restaurant is down in the basement separates it from the rest of the hotel, and as you enter the bar/reception area you realise that someone has put some thought into establishing its own identity.

We chose from the £62 three course menu, and thought that this represented good value for money for the quality and presentation of the food, and the attentiveness and efficiency of the staff. The staff were knowledgeable about the food, and found out answers quickly if unsure of facts, and the lady sommelier certainly knew her wines. It was good to see a number of good quality moderately priced wines on the wine list.

Although it did not bother us there was a rather long delay in the presentation of our main courses, but sincere apologies accompanied the plates when they did arrive.

As one would expect from a Michelin starred chef the food presentation was modern, tending towards nouvelle cuisine, and there was a lot of use of foams, which were delicious.

This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, or somewhere to take that client who has just made you day!

balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your fantastic review following your recent experience in Number One at The Balmoral. I am delighted to learn that the reviews from our previous customers persuaded you to visit the restaurant and that we were able to meet, and perhaps even exceed, your expectations. Your comments regarding the quality and presentation of the food and the attentive service, in particular the knowledge of the sommelier, are greatly appreciated.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back, should you be returning to Edinburgh in the future.

Gary Quinn