“Lived up to expectations!”

Number One at The Balmoral
Ranked #5 of 2,556 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Memorable flavours and world-class cuisine. A truly outstanding culinary experience, worthy of its Michelin star for the 13th consecutive year. As one of the finest Edinburgh restaurants, 'Number One' presents an innovative blend of Scottish and French flavours. Saute Foie Gras with duck confit. Borders lamb, broad beans and grelot. Rhubarb and white chocolate panna cotta. Take a seat on the golden banquettes and sample some of Scotland's most creative dishes from our tasting menus. Equally striking are the original artworks from The Royal College of Art that hang on the red lacquered walls.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked this for a 40th birthday and spent weeks looking forward to the evening. From the moment we arrived we knew we had made the right decision (we had also considered Castle Terrace and The Kitchen). While I have eaten in great restaurants I have never eaten in a restaurant with a Michelin star - and what a meal we had! The staff were just amazing, I am sure they can read your mind (or else lip read so be careful what you say), attentive but not formal and stuffy and very welcoming. We had the tasting menu with wine and enjoyed everything. My partner was concerned that the portions would be too small but we were both very full at the end of the meal. I can honestly say that from the moment we sat down I had a smile on my face and didn't stop smiling all night. 5 days later and I still smile just thinking about it. It was an evening and experience which will stay in my memory forever.

There are newer reviews for Number One at The Balmoral

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Where do I start, we ate here to celebrate our first child only being a month away. We expected from what we had heard that it would be good, it out done our expectations in every single way. To start the atmosphere is amazing and the distance between tables is great so you never ever feel cramped or like you have to talk quiet.

On to the food, its advertised as a three course meal but in reality its at least a five course as they bring you small appetisers in between courses. These were all great and of the highest quality. All the food was excellent and the portion sizes were perfect so at the end of the night we felt just right and never had to force anything down and feel too full.

The staff are all very very helpful and knowledgable and they get it just right without being pushy. They ever ran after us to give us a box of fresh made sweets in a little box to take home. All in all its a very special experience and in my opinion well worth the money.

I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were staying at the Balmoral Hotel and the restaurants that we knew in Edinburgh (like Wishart's) are closed on a Monday so easiest thing was to book into Number one, the Michelin * restaurant in the hotel.

It was a great decision.

The food and service were excellent and great value for the quality provided.

Canapés, amouse bouche, entree, main, pre dessert, dessert and petit fours were all excellent, and when we complimented the waiter on the petit fours he brought more, and the plate had "Happy Birthday" piped in chocolate ... nice touch.

The sommelier was knowledgeable and helpful and wine selection more than adequate.
A pleasant experience and a nice way to spend our last night in Edinburgh.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Iphoned the restaurant a few days before in order to book a table for Sunday 14th of october.I was congratulated and assured we would have a table for 19h30.
After a cocktail in the bar .we arrived in the restaurant and told there was no reservation under our name;may I add the 'lady ' who checked was not very understanding and just seemed to assume we had not booked...No apologies ,despite the fact we told her it was a speciall occasion! She told us we could have a table but we had to leave at 21h.
To our amazement,the restaurant was only a third full and remained so the whole time we were there!
We cannot critisize the dishes except for the ridiculous size .The service was extremely done in a pompous way ;2 waiters arriving with 2 huge plates on a massive tray held by one in front of the one serving! To our dismay,the food seemed lost in the middle of our plates.
We left still hungry,angry and with the feeling we had paid not for the food and wine but for the excessive service .

18  Thank Andrew V
balmoraledinburgh, Director of Food and Beverage at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Guest

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment following your recent visit to Number One. The restaurant staff typically take great pride in providing a highly attentive and personalised service to our guests and I regret if this was not your experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your visit further and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel on 0131 556 2414.

Yours sincerely
Alexander Feij
afeij@roccofortehotels.com

Reviewed November 9, 2012

had a marvellous meal, a riot of flavours and colours and beautiful presentation, excellent staff who were very helpful yet unobtrusive, the decor is elegant with a 20s feel, quite sumptuous, cannot recommend it highly enough