“A super family taste treat”
Review of Kalpna

Kalpna
Ranked #578 of 2,628 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My son and I each went for the Thaali Raj Bhog. WOW! We greedily ate every bite. So many different flavours and textures. I particularly enjoyed the aubergine and tomato curry and the mixed vegetables in coconut milk. The cheese wrapped in spinach and breadcrumbs was amazing. There were items I couldn't even identify but loved such as a meaty textured bite along side a sort of err... nut topping? Gorgeous. My daughter had the vegan thali and pronounced herself very satistied. She had piping hot puris instead of our nan bread and a different selection of litle bowls. Her pudding was a big wodge of opaque green jelly-she tells me it was super. I was happy with my delicately flavoured rice pudding with several different kinds of nuts.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having lived in south west England for most of my life, I was deprived of South of Indian food. Visiting London was always exciting solely because I could find dosas, idli and thalis. If you think that curry and biriyani is the only thing Indians eat, come here to prove yourselves wrong. You can also dine here with the knowledge that you're not eating anything which had a face. Everything is cooked here with great attention, fresh ingredients and great service.

Just to give you a taster:

Delicious dosas: crispy thin lentil and rice crepes which are filled with a mixture of spicy vegetables and potatoes, accompanied by various sauces, including coconut chutney and spicy sambar.

Idli: Steamed rice cakes, white and spongy in appearance, which can be used to dip into various spicy and cooling sauces.

Uttapam: India's answer to pizza! Flatbread baked in the oven with various spices, vegetable toppings, and potentially paneer cheese.

Don't miss the kulfi for pudding!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Four of us visited and had a superb meal. We all ended choosing the same thing - Thaali Raj Bhog - and it was superb. Beautifully presented on heavy silver salvers, we went with 2 spicy and 2 mild ones. It takes a bit of getting used to having your starter, mains and dessert served on the same platter at the same time but once you get over that, it's actually a very relaxing way to eat without any disturbance from waiting staff. There was a large group in with us and so the food was a bit slow arriving but we were nibbling on the excellent popadoms so barely noticed. Great stuff!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The restaurant itself is gorgeous, with distinctively decorated walls which you could just look at all evening! The food is all vegetarian and all delicious: beautifully presented and even better to taste. My particular favourite is the Dam Aloo Kashmeri, I'd really recommend it. The pistachio kulfi is also suberb. The portions are sensible, though by no means small. A bit cold sometimes, so I'd ask for a table away from the door if possible. Always my restaurant of choice for birthdays! Even if you don't think you could stomach an entirely vegetarian meal, try it. You certainly won't regret it.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Kalpna - what to say? A restaurant I have been visiting for 25 years and it's still the best vegetarian Indian restaurant in Edinburgh. All the food is well presented, very tasty, and with reasonable portion sizes so it is possible to eat it all. Every dish I have ever eaten here is excellent, the drink selection includes indian beers and lassi, the relatively recent refurbishment gives you hours of amusement looking at the artwork that literally is the walls. It's also reasonably priced and family friendly. Can be a bit chilly if you're sitting near the door so ask to sit elsewhere. My children's choice when it comes to birthday celebrations. My daughter (17 years old) is sitting at my shoulder and says it can't be faulted. It's even on a direct bus route from our street.