“Very good experience”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Established in 1963, Scotland's first vegetarian restaurant "The Salad Table" is still proudly serving fresh, wholesome and tasty food. Join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or visit our deli shop for some takeaway and a loaf from our onsite organic bakery. Our restaurant is set up cafeteria style, offering a relaxed and informal dining experience, featuring live music every night, it's perfect for families, young and old, and still run as Janet Henderson envisioned 53 years ago.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had a lovely meal here as a small group. I had the spinach and mushroom crepe and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't complain at all about the food. Price was reasonable and staff were pleasant. Varied choices on the menu and they seemed as though they would accommodate special requests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant and as one of our party is veggie and others were veggie fans we put it down as an essential on our trip to Edinburgh. It's attempt to be relaxed results in it looking dated and a bit shabby. And the Moto style self-service food bar meant it felt a bit "works canteen". The food was tasty but with the main courses being either £10 or £1, it wasn't great value for a self-service veggie restaurant. The state of the loos was very disappointing. Need I say more! .

3  Thank Crazyhaircaz
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Such a shame to see this icon sink to such depths.
I first came here nearly forty years ago, and when in the UK always make a point of visiting. I now live in Edinburgh and on the last few occasions I've found the food poor, portions small, and prices too high for the standard of produce. Such a contrast from the days of queuing for a table and plates heaped with good healthy food. Last night's visit is likely to be our last. Plenty of better restaurant doing healthy food these days.

4  Thank SydneyBaxter
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Unfortunately it didnt get any better, two of us hoped to enjoy an informal lunch between shopping in Edinburgh, Neither of us are veggies but the menu looked ok from the window and Thistle Street/Hanover Street has nice shope and is central. We ordered a bottle of red wine it came to us opened straight from the cellar-needless to say it was ice cold so we refused it and chose another bottle that was available from stock behind the bar. We both chose salads; mine brie and fig-it came to the table with no figs in evidence, I requested the figs and then received a lecture from the lone barman/waiter that figs were made by dead wasps, and therefore not ethical for a veggie (I'm not a veggie!) He relented and bought a small dish of fig which I added to the salad. The other salad arrived with colourless croutons (we thought it was more likely stale bread) goats cheese and no dressing. Not impressed we paid the bill, however the barman asked if he could make 'it up' to us, I asked how he intended to do that, he pointed to his right foot, the lace was untied, he proceeded to shake his foot and somehow the lace tied itself, clown! We wont go back!

3  Thank judi7419
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My two daughters having a girly day out in Edinburgh, we couldn't get into any restaurant, which I was very happy about being a vegetarian. We went into the bistro so it was table service, service was a bit slow but the delicious food made up for It, and the Australian wine. Both my daughters loved the food would recommend to vegetarians and meat eater