“Excellent Food and Service”
Review of Dubh Prais

Dubh Prais
Ranked #26 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Old Town
New Hartley
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We popped in here on our second day in Edinburgh (Tues 16th April) at around 17:00Hrs and booked a table for 20:00Hrs, so glad we did, not only did we get the last table but the food was fantastic (the Red Deer Venison was exceptional) and considering the quality of the food the value was really good to. 3 courses, bottle of water came to under £70 (this included a 10% optional service charge which we were happy to pay).

If you want to go and enjoy it as much as we did, book in advance.

David and Sharon
Northumberland

• Korean first
“Wonderful hearty Scottish food”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my friend whilst visiting Edinburgh and we weren't disappointed! The service was fantastic, really attentive and friendly. The waiter persuaded my friend to eat haggis for the first time ( then told her what it was afterwards!) We had that and then the beef special which was perfectly cooked and salmon (which my American friend said was the best she'd ever had). It's not cheap but the food is definitely worth it. It's a small place which makes it even more special. Brilliant.

• Visited April 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect meal”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Decided to go for a special occasion after very enthusiatic recommendations. Not disappointed at all. Had a wonderful evening.

Everything was brought to our table in perfect time. The haggis was very good and the beef fillet was cooked to perfection. My partner had the venison, which I don't like so I can't pass a fair judgement, but he assured me it was very tasty.

The staff are brilliant,very attentive, polite and charming. Will definitely be going back.

• Visited April 2013
los angeles ca
“The best meal we had in the UK”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our family loved, loved this restaurant! From the moment we entered this charming place to the very end of the evening (The very end I will explain later) The food is gourmet Scottish food at its finest! The starters were amazing - a wild mushroom ragout, West Coast broth with seafood and I had the special soup - onion soup with a hint of bleu cheese (quite possibly the best soup I have ever had!). I loved the Madera lamb (rack of lamb with an incredible tomato based sauce. The saddle of venison was amazing too as we'll as the Shelton Scottish salmon. Our vegetarians loved their chestnut crusted vegetable dish also. The sauces that they served with their entrees are all unique, delicious and complement the dish. Desserts were unique - a butterscotch mousse -yum, a rich chocolate dessert w whiskey and a unique Scottish ice cream Atoll Brose, also delicious. Now for the very end of my night: we were all getting ready for bed back at our hotel and the doorbell rang! It was someone from our reception desk holding my purse! My husband looked puzzled. Evidently I had left it underneath the table (mind you, no cocktails were involved). The management made sure that my purse was delivered back to me by taxi). Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Dubh Prais! What a memorable night of incredible food and service!

1 Thank travelbug
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

£65 for two mains a starter and a bottle of water????

I would be happy to part with my cash if the main courses had been worth it, but to be honest it was not even mediocre, it was not that nice at all. The sauce tasted like a microwaved oxo cube dissolved over a piece of leather beef! Not impressed!

14 Thank Clare H