“Very disappointing”
Review of Britannia Spice

Britannia Spice
Reserve with OpenTable
Britannia Spice is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,090 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Thai, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: From its location in a former whisky bond close to the waterfront at Leith, Britannia Spice has been attracting Edinburgh's diners to its multi-ethnic blend of exotic eastern cooking since 2000. Drawing on the traditional cuisine of India, Bangladesh, Thailand and Nepal, the critically acclaimed dishes are served in a nautically-inspired interior with an airy yet intimate ambience.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was very excited to head down to Leith to dine at Britannia Spice... and was unfortunately disappointed.
The restaurant was recommended to me by a friend (I won't be listening to more of their advice any time soon!) and I took my family there for a meal on a quiet Tuesday evening in February.
First off, our table of 5 were supplied with only two menus. It wasn't until the waiter came to take our order that his colleague brought over 3 more menus (a little late...!). The starters were fine but small. The main courses took a very long time (the restaurant was not busy) and when they arrived at our table the waiter passed a hot plate to my Mother to pass across the table, almost burning her hands. The main courses were variable, none were awful but they were either bland or overly spicy (which is saying something, as we all love spicy food)
I was really looking forward to my trip to Britannia Spice but unfortunately I won't be heading back. I'd much rather dine at Kismot or Mother India which are both splendid places to head for a curry in Edinburgh!

3 Thank FionaO69

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you're staying in the Leith area then the Spice is fine but not worth a trip from town where there are better options such as Kushis or Mother India. Service is a bit slow and the food isn't anything to write home about but it's perfectly fine if you're in the area and want a bite to eat.

East Lothian
“Best Indian in Edinburgh”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This place serves fantastic food and the service is second to none. We have been going for years and have never been disappointed no matter what we have chosen. It is a big restuarant but I would recommend booking at peak times.

Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“5 star food and drinks”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Excellent dinner. Always have a great meal. Bit pricey but worth the money..Great atmosphere and beautiful food. We will return!

• Visited December 2012
Edinburgh
“A disappointment!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I heard great reviews about this restaurant and was let-down.
At first glance the decor looks excellent; however, as I sat in my seat I noticed the walls could do with a wash and a touch of paint. The room just felt a bit run down which added to the atmosphere.

The menu looked amazing so I opted for chicken pakora for starters... i expected more than 4 small pieces! My wife took the King Prawn Butterfly...you needed bionic eyes to find the prawn. It was meant to be a KING prawn. It should have been called Tiny Prawn Butterfly.

When it came to the mains, I chose Chicken Tikka Masala and nan bread. What a great disappointment, the Tikka Masala was so bland a supermarkets ready meal was bursting with more flavour and the nan bread was small.

I love Indian food and will definably not be going back to this restaurant in a hurry. For the quality/flavour this food is mediocre and overpriced.

• Visited January 2013