“Better than expected”

Ranked #79 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night at this hotel for business and booked it only because there was very little choice available. I must admit I rarely booked Novotel as previous experience has not been positive. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The room was basic but modern and clean. The staff we're very friendly and the food reasonable. I'll definitely consider booking here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Juley R
ManagerNovotelEP, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing to come back to the Novotel hotel chain and for your review. It would be great if you would come back again to Novotel Edinburgh Park for a future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Invergordon, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Went with my partner and kids and was very pleased with our stay. Getting more than what your paying for. Always a good thing! 10 GBP taxi into the city centre. Very easy to get to from motorway as its just off the roundabout.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We do hope you will return very soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2013

When travelling to a major city such as Edinburgh, you want to stay in the city centre if nothing more than out of convenience. However, staying just outside of Edinburgh turned out to be a win.

I stayed at Novotel Edinburgh Park with my family and an out of town guest in two rooms. We drove to Edinburgh in large family vehicle. Staying at Novotel Edinburgh Park helped me avoid city centre traffic and parking woes. The hotel has free on-site parking. We booked at a time I felt was late for the Summer season, especially with the Military Tattoo, however the staff was able to arrange adjacent rooms for our party. In proximity to the hotel is a Krispy Kreme, KFC, Tesco, and other stores. The train station is only a five minute walk away.

I felt the rooms were clean and neat. The staff was helpful in fulfilling our needs. The restaurant was convenient for feeding the children, especially upon arrival. The indoor, heated pool helped entertain the older children in the evenings.

My only pick with the hotel is that breakfast service in the mornings seemed a bit stretched. At times, the staff seemed to struggle to find seating for guests or get food items out to the buffet. While ordering cappuccinos were not much of a problem, asking for poached eggs seemed a bit of an effort (but they delivered!).

Otherwise, I'd recommend this hotel to anybody, especially families travelling by car. The service and accommodation was good. The conveniences of the train station and grocery store nearby cannot be overstated. I would stay here again if travelling to Edinburgh or its environs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back of the hotel, as they face the railway servicing Edinburgh.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank christopher_brown
Thank you for your very detailed review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our location and facilities enjoyable. We do hope you will return to Novotel Edinburgh Park.
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Very accomodating, considering of our late arrival and early departure, the hotelstaff friendly and pleasant. Very close to the train station for access to the city, a short train journey to the city creating no time delay to our day in edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for staying here at Novotel Edinburgh Park we do appreciate your feedback.
Macclesfield
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here with my wife on Saturday the 5th October 2013. The main reason for choosing this hotel is it is conveniently located on Edinburgh Park just outside Edinburgh on a main train line.

This is a godsend as the price for the rooms are less than the city centre. It is easy to get to off the A720 bypass, and the train station link at Edinburgh Park is 2 minutes’ walk from the hotel. Also just over the rounderabout is the retail park with all the main shops you need, and there is a KFC opposite the hotel itself, so all in all great.

As mentioned in previous reviews the train runs every 15 minutes into the main Waverley Station in the centre of Edinburgh and takes 2 stops which is about a 8 minute journey at a return cost of 3 quid, brilliant. The last train back from platform 10 is about twenty minutes to midnight, or a taxi at a cost of 14 quid, so really there is no need to stay in central Edinburgh with hotels costing nearly 200 quid per night.

With regard to the hotel itself, it is modern and clean with all the amenities you would want. When we checked in we had some banter with the receptionist, she said “This is your room key card, and the pool is minus one”, I retorted “Minus one, I don’t think I will be taking a swim with the icicles thanks very much”, she responded “No I meant the pool is located on the floor minus one from the lift, it’s not the temperature”. So a bit of jocular banter, which shows they are friendly.

The room was fine, spectacular bathroom with a strange curved sink and very controllable digital shower, lots of TV channels from the flat screen TV. Fridge, Hairdryer, Safe, Extra pillows etc. No noise from the other rooms. We didn’t try the bar or restaurant, but the pool looked good.

The room is thermostatically controlled and can get hot at night, even on the lowest temperature, but you can open the window. If you get a room at the back of the hotel, and only if the window is open, you can hear the trains, but they stop about midnight, so it is not really a problem.

The only small criticism, is my wife started sneezing in the night, and in the morning she did find dust on the picture frames, and TV, which she thought may of contributed towards her sneezing, along with the window being closed, but when she mentioned it to reception in the morning, they apologised and subsequently I was given a slight refund into my bank, with I assume was compensation for this.

So to sum up, great new modern hotel, with excellent link to the city centre, and good amenities with friendly staff, please have a quick look at my pictures.

Mark and Michaela

Room Tip: At the front away from the railway line
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkWButler5705
Thank you so much for your very detailed and positive review. We do appreciate all feedback from our guests as this enables us to improve our customer service. Thank you again for choosing to stay at Novotel Edinburgh Park.
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I'd give it 5-stars if I could... but two issues that might seem minor really affected by happiness, those issues were that there was no electrical outlet near the bed so I couldn't plug in my alarm clock/cell phone unless tehy were across the room, which really threw me off, and that at about 6' 8" (over 2m) tall, I couldn't stand up in the shower without ducking.
Otherwise, I really liked the hotel. Breakfast was reasonably good and offered a variety of choices, including haggies and black pudding which allowed me to taste a flavor of scotland without having to actually order an entire dish of it. The staffw as courteous and friendly, the room relatively quiet and reasonably comfortable, and for the most part was quite pleased with my stay!
I ate dinner in the restaurant a few times and was never super impressed, but not unimpressed either.
Just a traveler note... if you are thinking of coming to scotland to see the sights in town... a lot of tour groups stay at this hotel. You are about a block or so away from the train/tram line which is just two stops away from waverly, the main train station of the main city. There is a Tesco a bit longer of a walk away to get groceries and other basic supplies and they are open pretty late.

Room Tip: A room on the train side might be slightly louder, but its a pretty quiet train... no blaring horns...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your very positive comments. Your point about the electrical outlet will be passed to our Maintenance team to see if there is anything they can do to rectify this. We do hope you enjoyed the Haggis and Black pudding, these are very popular dishes with our visitors. We do hope the next time you are in Edinburgh you will come back to Novotel Edinburgh Park.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Good clean hotel perfect location near train station for Edinburgh and Airport.The room clean and bright lovely bathroom with shower room.Coffee tea and fridge with water,But brought our own as pricey.Leisure great gym and swimming pool with steam room.Restaurant food ok but breakfast expensive so we walked over to Tesco English breakfast for under £5 pounds.If hotel offered light breakfast deal people would eat there.Out front entrance of the hotel 2 mins a cross road.KFC and Krispy Kreme Dounut coffee shop.Free wifi in hotel and Apple mac computers in lounge area.
Lovely stay very comfortable.Offers on nova website or booking.com or trip advisor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. Just to let you know that we offer a lighter breakfast menu which is advertised in our bar area. Just to clarify that we do not charge for tea's and coffee's which are supplied in the bedrooms but our mineral water is chargable. Thank you again for choosing to stay her at Novotel Edinburgh Park.