“Good location, friendly staff.”

Novotel Edinburgh Park
Ranked #82 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Good location, friendly staff.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The rooms were nice and the staff was great! Walking distance to a Tesco. The hotel in not close to the city center, but a 4 minute walk will get you to Edinburk Park Station. £5 will get you a same day return ticket to Waverly Station (city center). Trains run every 15 minutes and it's only a 15 minute train ride in. That was perfect for us.

The room was nice. Comfy bed and good water pressure. Lots of space in the room. In fact, the hotel offers a spa service through a local company that will actually set up a table in the comfort of your own room! The indoor pool is quite nice too.

The restaurant wasn't terrible, but you can tell that it isn't top on their priority list. No free wifi is always frustration, but unfortunately it's rare to find a hotel that won't charge you.

All in all it is a nice hotel in the commercial district setup more for business people rather than tourists. I would go back.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel itself is generally the usual Novotel standard, with the room being pretty much the same as every other Novotel I've stayed in, with the notable exception that it doesn't have proper air conditioning. It was incredibly rainy, windy and cold (by summer standards) the weekend I was there so while it wasn't that bad for me, if the temperatures had been on average, I wouldn't have considered their alternative as being good enough for a Novotel, in my opinion.

Sound-proofing on the windows is not great, but mostly on the train line side it's only the trains out there and they go past pretty quickly without making too much noise. What was more of an issue was that I was above the area where the garbage and laundry is variously collected and dropped off and those engaged in these activities early in the morning didn't seem too fussed about how much noise they were making. It would probably be a good idea to install some kind of sound dampening, even a simple roof above that area might help.

There is almost nothing in the vicinity of the hotel other than the train station. It's about five minutes walk there and then about 12 minutes on the train to Edinburgh Waverley. This is perfectly fine before or after each day out, but it is a bit of a pain when arriving or departing with luggage. There is no shelter on the walk and due to the tram line construction some of it is a little rough as you haul your luggage across.

WiFi and Breakfast are both overpriced, as per Novotel standards, so I did not use either.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us. I have taken on baord your comments, and will address the issues of early deliveries with our suppliers. Thanks again.
Ireland
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel for the location beside the train. Clean, good food and good staff. Big towels and lots of hot water wih goodp pressure. Would use it again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for writing a review following your stay with us, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Hotel structure very good, rooms good but can get very warm good pool food basic but of good quality, breakfast plenty of it but quality less than average, staff on reception,restaurant very impersonal even after 8 weeks Monday to Friday

Room Tip: If you would like to have the window open do not stay train track side
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thanks for your review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and will be taking up your comments about the " impersonal " staff with the team.
I hope you will consider staying with us in the future
London, UK
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I spent 2 nights at this hotel in July 2012 and would recommend avoiding it. Why?

1.) The rooms have no air conditioning, no windows that open, and the 'air flow regulator' is just a joke. The air temperature outside was nearing 20 Celsius, and inside it was higher, and the air regulator just would not bring it down. The result? A hot and stuffy room - and impossible to sleep under the covers. Even just sitting in the room my brow broke out in a sweat.

On another note, I can't believe a hotel of this standard, aimed at business travellers, has no air conditioning. This is not 1950s France. It's 2012 - get air con installed!

2.) While service was good, I was very very unimpressed by the service for Accor Club frequent travellers. When I asked for a one-hour delayed checkout, the guy behind the desk didn't even look up my room but kept working on his computer and said no. That, I am sorry to say, is poor customer service (I can't believe an hour makes a big difference, it's not as if Edinburgh is New York for Braveheart's sake), and it makes me want to direct my employer's money to another hotel chain.

3.) Fixtures in the room were not particularly new - the bathroom in particular seemed as though it was getting quite old.

4.) Bedsheets and covers - clearly contained a lot of acrylic (seen also at night, when I could see static electricity when rubbing the sheets). This adds to the stuffiness, as I woke up in the morning covered in sweat.

The positives? Yes, there are some. Exercise area and pool. Go there to chill your body before going into the sauna of your room. And it's close to Edinburgh Park station. But so is the Premier Inn. And guess where I'll be staying next time? Hint: it won't be this Novotel.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the train side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Could you please contact me directly in order that I can discuss the points you raised in your review?
Munich, Germany
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Once we finally found and reached the hotel (our navigation system had no idea how to get there because it is new), we had no desire to adventure out for the evening, which was probably a good idea because it didn't look like there was much around the area but business buildings. This was not as convenient and close to the airport as we expected. When we first checked into the hotel they gave us a room that smelled like someone had been sick in the room. When we told the front desk they acted very surprised, but when we walked in this room the windows were open, apparently trying to air out the smell, because our new room did not have the windows open. Very disappointing that they would even try to do this to a guest. The room was designed very modern, but it wasn't very comfortable. The restaurant was good and had good prices. This is definitely geared more towards the business traveler and possibly one traveling by train since it is near a train stop. In my point of view it did not measure up to Novotel standards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay with us in May. I am sorry that our service did not live up to your expectations. At Novotel we strive to provide a superior service to our customers, clearly we did not on this ocassion. Please accept my apologies, and be assured that we take guest comments on board to improve our service. I hope you will consdier staying with us in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2012

first stay and will be back again. very handy with train station very close by and only 10 mins to waverly. helps to keep car away from traffic chaos in the city! family and dog friendly and very comfortable spacious room. already recommending to others

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Many thanks for your review of the hotel following your stay with us. We appreciate your comments.