“good option for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fountain Court Apartments - Harris

Fountain Court Apartments - Harris
Ranked #51 of 214 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
“good option for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at a two bedroom apartment in Harris while visiting Edinburgh for Hogmanay and were quite pleased with the accommodations. We were traveling with our two adult sons, so chose this option over two hotel rooms. So much better! For less cost, we had two comfortable bedrooms, a nice lounge area and complete kitchen facilities. It also had services comparable to a hotel, including tea/coffee, shampoo, Wifi, and daily housekeeping service. The apartment was clean and the furnishings in good order.

The building feels secure with a front gate/key pad entry. Our apartment faced the street and did have street noise. If you are going to be around during the day, it would be good to inquire about an apartment at the back.

The location is reasonable for touring Edinburgh. It is a brisk 20 minute walk or £8 taxi to city center, or Haymarket station is about a 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: rooms facing street can have road noise. inquire about location of room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed there in Dec 2013 for one night. I have stayed in all their apartments every week for the past 9 weeks. Excellent Room on the third floor - Balcony overlooking the Dundee street. Self sufficient kitchen, clean rooms and nice cozy bedroom. The staff of the Fountain Court Reception are exceptionally nice. The even remembered to pick up my UK adapter that i left back in the room and gave it to me during my next trip there. The Internet is very good though no Youtube and other streaming sites. One more plus, is that they keep your luggage when you check in or check out which is good. Another apartment hotel across the street charge GBP 4 for each luggage. Overall best place to stay for short or long stays in Edinburgh. Kudos to the staff over all. . Do not hesitate even if you pay a few pounds more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ravishankar P
Berwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I recently spent a working week at the Harris Apartments and was delighted with the standard of accommodation. There was a large kitchen and living area with a dining table for 4 and featured a microwave, full oven and hob, fridge with freezer box, dishwasher and washing machine. The equipment was the best I have had in any such apartment and you really could prepare a meal of any kind there from scratch. The bedroom was very comfortable with plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe, hairdryer and a safe for valuables: a Hoover and ironing equipment was in the hall cupboard and the bathroom was large with both bath and shower plus heated towel rail. Each apartment has its own boiler: you can control the heat by using the radiator thermostats so it is possible to have one room cooler than another. I never saw the place in daylight as this was December and I started work early and returned late afternoon! However there was a balcony with table and chairs which would have been lovely in sunny weather. One thing to note is that reception is NOT at this building, which is near the Morrison St end of Grove Street: you have to trail quite a long way up Grove Street, over a bridge on the way, to reach another of their buildings which houses reception. There was an error with my booking which meant that Fountain Court had not carried out the payment instructions given to them by my employer's booking agent, so I had no alternative but to pay myself which I was very annoyed about. However they discovered their error the next day and immediately refunded my payment and brought the refund receipt to my apartment. Overall I would recommend these apartments, which are on a quiet road a brisk 10 minute walk from Haymarket station and very handy for Princes Street and all the surrounding attractions.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Arrived in Edinburgh having travelled from Southport to these so called '4 star luxury' apartments. They gave us the key to room 9 and when we entered I could not believe the state of this apartment - the carpets were filthy and the lamp shade by the bed was cracked - we raced back to the Fountains office to see if we could change apartments to something more like the pictures on the web page and as stated on the web page 'a 4 star luxury apartment'
They gave us the keys to two other apartment one of which was a two bedroom apartment. We went to the one bedroom apartment first which was not much better than the first one but the two bed seemed nice until I pulled back the sheets and found hairs in the bed.
Enough was enough - we took the keys back to the office and drove all the way back home - this is how bad the apartments are. We rang the manager the next day as he wasn't available on the night we left and he said it does not state they are luxury apartments on their web page - but unless they have changed this since,it did definitely say 4 star luxury and they are definitely NOT. He also said that room 9 was due to have the carpets cleaned - but really they should have been cleaned or better still replaced before we arrived. BE WARNED.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court Apartments - Harris, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent review which I was expecting, as other prospective guests wil appreciate it seems contrary to the other reviews we have received.

This guest had booked a three night non-refundable stay. On arrival they explained to Reception that they hoped the apartment was nice since they are fussy.

The guest did not like the first apartment and was offerred two alternatives-one being a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom apartment. My colleague did explain that I would contact them the following morning to discuss their comments.

The guest was very vocal at Reception confirming that they would write negative reviews and they would also get their friends to do so-their friends having not stayed.

The guest decided to stay in one of the alternative apartments offerred. The guest's husband then returned to Reception and asked for restaurant recommendations and confirmed they would park on the street and ask that their parking be refunded.

Ten minutes later the guest returns to Reception and starts a tirade of abuse mentioning bad reviews on Tripadvisor, the husband ushers the guest out of Reception leaving his contact details.

I contacted the husband the following day who was reasonable and I agreed to refund one night's accommodation and explained that when they returned I would ensure a perfect stay. He contacted me later that day to check on availability for that evening for two nights, unfortunately we were then full. He contacted me the following day to request refund of the further two nights and I explained it was a non-refundable rate and that they had decided to depart.

We do always strive to ensure guest satisfaction however I do think that this guest was initially unhappy with the first apartment (there were some issues) however we did offer two other apartments and it appears that the guest then decided to depart and is now unhappy that we are not offering a refund-this salient point seems to be omitted from their review?

It is wrong that guests think they can threaten bad reviews on Tripadvisor and especially when this guest was advising she would have friends write negative reviews (who have not stayed!)

Tripadvisor is an open forum and can be a good tool for prospective guests who I think will base their decisions on all property reviews and not a single negative review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Second visit to Fountain Court. First apartment had a defective boiler. Refund or revisit offered without fuss. Chose to give it another try. Good quality apartment, pleasant staff, easy check in, off street parking. Everything you need for a wee home from home. Recommended.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Very Good apartment! Spot on maintenance.. convenient location!
The kitchen has all the utensils and appliances that you would want.
Tesco is close by for your supplies
We found it more convenient to use a Taxi from the airport than the Bus to Hay Market.
One tiny downsides:- street noise in the Harris apartments
Otherwise- FULLMARKS!

Room Tip: Anything away from the street noise..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ashboy
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in 2 of the 2 bedroom apartments - location was great - 5 minutes taxi ride into the centre of Edinburgh. Staff were helpful and friendly which made check-in easy, we were able to store our luggage when we arrived early and got back to find our suitcases had already been taken to our apartments. The apartments were clean, well furnished and fully equipped, there was even tea / coffee in the kitchen. We would definitely recommend and use again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court Apartments - Harris, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and for your positive feedback which I have shared with our team.

I am happy that you appreciated that we offer complimentary luggage storage pre and post stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards