“Our recent stay at Alva House”
Review of Alva House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alva House
Ranked #291 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Hove, United Kingdom
“Our recent stay at Alva House”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at Alva House and overall were very pleased with the 3 nights we stayed there. The booking process via email with the owner was very polite and efficient and location, 10 mins walk to Princes St was good. Yes the bathroom is shared but at £49 a night in a city centre I think it was good value. The room was spotless clean as was the bathroom. The help yourself breakfast did the job and was nice and informal. I would recommend staying here if you are looking for good value in the heart of the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markmedown

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
airdrie
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed here recently - just a 10 minute walk away from Princes Street etc. - the room was very spacious and well-appointed and the owner very welcoming and friendly and informative about the local area. Didn't mind that the private bathroom was next door to the bedroom as you feel that you always have your privacy. I really enjoyed staying there and would definitely book again. Happy to recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Euan W
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Let's get the negative out of the way first. Stayed in the superior room, but it had no ensuite, and was next to the kitchen. London Road is extremely busy and noisy. The room is right on the road, and it's difficult to sleep when it's hot because you need to open the windows.
However, let's not forget the fact that it only costs £60 per night for the room, and that it is only 5 minutes walk to the bottom of the Royal Mile, or ten minutes walk to Princes Street.
There is tea, coffee and biscuits available all day, and a kitchen if you want to make a snack. The room was large and comfortable, and although not the Ritz, it was great for what we wanted - a place to stay!
Breakfast is continental, and self service which suited us fine, although the selection was a little limited. The owner is friendly, and knows the local area well. It was nice to be free to come and go as we pleased and I can't imagine what else he could have done for us.
In short, yes it has its shortcomings, however at £60 per night in the middle of Edinburgh - you can't go wrong!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BenjaminCT7
glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2009

I booked at this hotel and when i tried to change my booking from 2 nites to just 1 i was told i either had to pay for both nites or cancel, so basically leaving me the option to book another hotel or pay them twice the money. they say this is because there is an event on in edinbugh that month but it was not stated at time of booking that i could not amend this, infact they stated you can amend it up till the day you are due to arrive so lucky i was nice enough to give them 2 weeks notice, so i now have time to look else where, so watch this hotel tries to con you into paying them more than u want to or leave u with no where to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank glasgow1978
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Alva House in Edinburgh a few weeks ago. I found it via their website and booked the best room they had with private bathroom. Please be aware that a private bathroom is not an in-suite bahtroom. I did not got that nuance and was somewhat surprised that the bathroom, although next door, was outside the room and it was reserved just for us, as the other guests had to share another common bathroom. Our room was on the same floor as the kitchen where breakfast was served, so we could hear people in the kitchen late at night and people walking above us in the room above
Another thing is that the room was right at the busy London Road. I had looked at the map and saw that Alva House was located in a small street and assume it would be away from the traffic, but it turned out to be the last house on the street but not at the quiet end, but facing London Road. I had to use earplugs but even with them I found it a bit noisy. As a matter of fact, Alva Place is not a street but a narrow lane and taxi drivers have difficulty finding it, also because there is apparently an Alva Street.
As for the breakfasts, the owner does not live in the premisses. He comes everyday in the morning and place yougurt, bread, butter, jam, cereal, etc. on a table for the guests. The table is not set, so you just pick up your cutlery and napkins and plates and prepare you own breakfast with what has been provided. There is no hot food served, so it does not have what you would normally expect of a "bed and breakfast" cozy feeling.
The location is not that central either. We did walk everywhere and never took public transportation or taxi except for arriving and departing because of the suitcases. It is within walking distances of most places but about 30 minutes walk of most attractions, good restaurants, etc. This was not a problem for us, as we are "walkers" and like the exercise, but if you are not energetic, be aware of it.
We got a better rate than the one advertised, as we stayed longer than just a few days and we booked well in advance, and in September, after the Festivals in Edinburgh have ended, when there is a lull in the season. We negotiated a discount with payment by cash, which was well worth it.
The booking procedure through email, the politeness of the owner and registration procedures were good positive points as there were no problems at all.
The bathroom was always clean, but for the benefit of your privacy , they will clean and change sheets in the room only if requested. They will change also towels as per request.
Also be aware that the telephone number given for the premisses is the owner's mobile phone. There is a pay phone in the premisses, but one must have the correct coin change and there is no number on it, in case you are booking taxis, restaurants, etc. and they ask for a contact number.
Would I recommend it? Yes, for the good value and as long as one is aware of what has been mentioned above.
Would I stay there again? Maybe, but I think I would try the other property the owner has, the Village Apartments, as it is in a very quiet area and lane and closer to the centre. The difference is that in the Village Apartments the breakfast food is placed in the fridge every day, but since there was no hot food at the Alva House, it would be much different that what is offered at Alva House, but quieter.

• Liked — Privacy and large room.
  • Disliked — Noise and no closets in the room, having to live off the suitcase.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Capisce
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2007

This is a guest house for men only. It is located within a residential part of the city on the London Road, which as a main bus route gives plenty of transport links to Princes st. Holyrood palace and the bottom of the Royal Mile are within easy reach It is a small place and can easily be missed as is the front door is tucked away at the top of some steps.

The rooms are clean and well furnished. There is an open kitchen where breakfast is available until noon.

However the rooms are not serviced and you are responsible for keeping it clean and tidy. Although not an untidy person this service was missed. Also it is hard to identify who the staff are apart from the manager. I was there for a week and only saw him for the first two days after arrival. Following that no one. The continental breakfast would have been put out by 8am but who by was the great unknown. If you needed to change towels or borrow an alarm clock that was impossible as there was no one around. Also dishes were left in the sink for most of the day waiting to go into the dish washer. Not a pretty sight. Made me wander what I was paying for. When on holiday I expect to be able to relax and to be looked after a little.

You pay on arrival which I do not have a problem with but on the day of departure no one saw me leave and there was no one to check me out.. Again you are on your own to make your own arrangements for your onward journey. Frankly I have stayed in better places.

Its location makes it not the ideal place to stay if you want to have Princes street on the doorstep. It would be ideal for a business man wanting to escape the buzz of the city and its tourist traps.

4 Thank travellover0144