“Never again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #412 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The only positive thing I can say was that the bed was comfortable, but the pillows were not of good quality. There were extension cables running round both sides of the room, one to serve the TV (this one ran round the wash hand basin, death trap or what.) the other for the kettle. There were never enough sachets of sugar, or tea bags. In the chest of draws there were coat hangers, I couldn't find the wardrobe to hang them in so my clothes stayed in the draws. It wasn't clean. I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gill B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

made you feel at home for breakfast, had to put the kettle on yourself! opened the loaf of nearly stale bread to go into the useless toaster, the crossiants were so chewy i struggled for even the first bite before i threw it in the bin, the lid was broken on the cereal container so when it came off in my hand and i dropped some on the floor, the woman working in her office next to the "dinning area" gave my a dust pan and brush to clean it up, the room was about 4mX3m in one corner was a hand basin and in the other was the toilet and shower, the tv on the wall stopped the wardrobe from opening, there are lots of B&Bs on the road so pick another one, cant work out why so many had vacancies and this one was full, there was a french family having breakfast the same time as us, i hate to think what thought of it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonyk70

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Cumbria, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This B and B is in a convenient position and the beds were clean and fresh. However, the rest of the accommodation we found to be dirty( especially behind the beds) and the standard of the en suite was appalling with the shower head falling off from the wall.
We won't be staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hofors, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Arrived at 7 pm. People with a busy schedule will not see a single staff during their visit. Good place to sleep but nothing else. Had to pay the room over the phone with the credit card supplied when booking the room. Left to early for breakfast in the morning so can't say anything about it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Oldham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I arrived within the stipulated times for booking in, but got no answer after pressing the doorbell. We tried again - still no response. We knocked on the door - still no response. This went on for a couple of minutes, so we tried phoning the number quoted on the note on the inside door glass, but it just went to the "leave a message" service. We were of course stood in the porch all this time carrying bags and clothes.

We then called the number on the booking confirmation e-mail only to be told they couldn't help and that they'd told the lady who was registered with them several times previously, that the number should be changed.

We then knocked on the door a little louder and after some time - wondering what we should do next after standing around outside the property for about 8 minutes - an Asian gentlemen opened the door.

I advised the gentlemen of all our previous attempts to make contact, within their stipulated times and was told he'd been in the back hanging out some washing. From his tone, it appeared that he felt we were being unreasonable in not expecting him to answer the door earlier. There was never any prospect of an apology for keeping his new guests waiting.

We were then told we needed to pay in advance for the accommodation to ensure we didn't leave without paying at about 3 a.m. the following morning. I suggested to my wife that she check out the room to ensure we felt comfortable about paying in advance. While she was checking the room, I advised him of the difficulties we'd had as outlined above and that his imputation that we might leave early without paying a sad reflection of the calibre of what must have been his usual clientele. I also advised that we'd never been asked to pay in advance at any other B&B we'd stayed at and was told this was standard practice in the area. He then told me he didn't "like my attitude" and indicated his reluctance to allow us to stay. At this point my wife returned and after having advised her of our clearly being unwelcome, we felt we should leave. My wife told me later she was distinctly unimpressed with the standard of the accommodation.

The story does however have a happy ending, we walked across the road and booked in at the Averon Guest House and paid the Scottish owner the following morning when we left, after a very enjoyable full English breakfast in a perfectly satisfactory ensuite bedroom - less than the price offered by the Gilmore who only offered a continental breakfast at a surcharge of £4.50 per person.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank noscreenname13
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We arrived within the hours that an onsite attendant was meant to be present to find a note on the door asking us to phone a mobile number. The man told us the code to enter the building, but that we had no booking and that they were fully booked.
To cut a long story short, the attendants were never where they said they would be. The room was dirty, the bathroom tiny and filthy, there was no hot water in the shower - and no one to ask to fix it. There were no spare supplies for tea and coffee, or even sufficient toilet paper for the duration of our stay.
Will never have stayed if it wasn't Edinburgh festival and pre-payment taken from my credit card.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We as a group needed a B&B in Edinburgh so we just randomly picked one. When we arrived the room was dark, the man had trouble opening our door (sticky I imagine) and when we walked in ...eugh!!! Yuk! The room smelled awful, like a mix between something dead and spicy out of date onions. We looked at it and each other, but the real shock came when we sat down - the beds were soaking! The guy said to me "well, they are just out of the washer". I said "Surely you don't put wet sheets and covers on a bed". Suffice to say I told him I felt he was running a scam as I am convinced this 'guest house' is a front for something else. I said to the guy that I had a feeling he knew people wouldn't stay once they had seen the rooms and he pretty much just laughed in my face. I looked in the shower and it looked like rubbed faeces across the outer bottom of it. Now this is something I can't say for sure as I didn't touch it but that is what it looked like to me.

We had a disabled person with us and suffice to say, because there was a golfing thing on all the B&Bs were booked up so we were effectively homeless thanks to this horrible place. (We did eventually get somewhere last minute on both nights but the cost was crazy but the places were lovely and the owners lovely).

I shall never ever forget this in my entire life. In all my travels I have never experienced this. To top it off the guy called me a racist!! Considering I love ethnic minorities and am always standing up for them (in my job and in life) I found this a real disgrace.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends